Sara Guiley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Sara Guiley

Hometown: Downingtown, Pennsylvania

Major: Aerospace Engineering

Relationship Status: in a committed relationship to caffeine

Favorite Artist: Jon Bellion

Favorite place to study on campus: the SERC

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Glory Bound

What is your favorite part about your major? “Being able to say, ‘No, this actually IS rocket science.'”

What is the best part about being in Gamma Phi? “I love that I am always meeting new people through Gamma Phi, whether it’s the beginning of the year and I’m desperately trying to introduce myself to the new 150+ pledge class, or I’m working on a sub-committee with girls I hadn’t previously gotten to know.”

What is the best part about being involved with UADM? “I am constantly inspired by the work that the UADM staff is able to accomplish every year. I think that being a part of an organization that literally makes miracles day in and day out, as well as being surrounded by the amazing people that make it happen, is so rewarding.”

If your life were an ice cream flavor, what would it be? “I’d be peanut butter banana ice cream, the unsuspecting flavor you might overlook in your haste to order mint chocolate chip or cookie dough, but one that will pack a punch so satisfying and unique it’ll have you questioning why you ever doubted its inevitable success amongst its fellow flavors.”

What is the best concert you have ever gone to? “I can’t narrow it down to one single performance, but Firefly music festival, a summer concert series I try to go to every year, is hands down the best concert I have ever been to. There’s something about dancing around in the mud, surrounded by people who love music just as much as me, all while listening to one of my favorite jam bands that is so incredibly magical.”

Describe your dream date: “We would start out by going to a concert together and scream and dance until our lungs gave out. I just love the atmosphere of concerts, how it brings people together because everyone present is interconnected by their love for music (I definitely sound like a hippie while answering these questions). We’d end the night by grabbing ice cream and walking along a moonlit beach (because of course the concert was conveniently right next to a beach).”

Describe yourself in three words. Energetic, conscientious, passionate

What do you think is your best quality? “I’m very adventurous and willing to try new things. I have this quality to thank for so many of my most memorable experiences in life.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “To take everything in strides. It’s impossible to tackle every responsibility at the same time, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed when school and clubs are piling on work all at once, but if you separate each task and take them individually as they come, it’s much less stressful.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.