Reflections From A Graduating Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

I’m graduating in less than two months from the best university in the world and I have so many mixed emotions. While The University of Alabama is my dream school and has been since I can remember, I’ll honestly miss walking across the quad every day. I’ve always dreamt about attending this school and my dreams have come true. I’ve attended many sporting events; I’ve gone out for memorable nights with some of the world’s best people; I’ve laughed, cried, laughed so hard I cried, and cried so hard I started laughing. I’ve met some of the most amazing individuals in my time here and I’ve made some of the world’s best memories. It’s bittersweet to know that this will all end on May 6 when I walk across that stage and receive my diploma. All these memories as an undergraduate will end and my memories as an alum will begin.

I haven’t gone to Alabama for my entire college career. I transferred here going into my third year of college from Georgia Southern University. I loved Georgia Southern, but I wanted something more. A bigger place and more people, even if it meant being a little fish in a big pond. I wanted to go there more than anything I had ever known. On New Year’s Eve 2013, my mom finally gave me the approval to apply to Alabama. I remember it so well because we were grocery shopping when she told me; I started cheering and yelling with excitement in the middle of the store. I applied immediately and within a few months, I got the acceptance package (because did you really get accepted if you didn’t get a million papers?). I’ve never been so excited for life before coming here.

I’ve been at The Capstone for three years now. I’m graduating with a Bachelor of Science in General Business. I’m about to start the next chapter of my life and become an actual adult. You know, the adults that do their own taxes instead of giving the form to mom or dad to fill out. Although I’m nervous to be officially doing things on my own, I’m excited to see what the future has in store for me. Mostly I’ll miss going to football games and being able to go to them for little to nothing (in relative to the semester tuition). I’ll miss Tuscaloosa a lot, but I’m excited to see the memories I make as an alumna. Roll Tide!

Melissa is from Atlanta, GA and is a Senior Business major at The University of Alabama. She loves working out, hanging out with friends, and listening to music (especially Drake). You can normally find Melissa at Starbucks or volunteering at the Metro Animal Shelter when she’s not in class. You can follow her on Instagram @melroseplace_ or Twitter @melissa__w
Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.