This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Rachel Paikoff

Hometown: Bucks County, Philadelphia, PA

Major: Public Health and Nutrition

What are you involved in on campus? “I’m the president of Gamma Greek Peer Health Educators, director of SGA’s Health and Safety Initiatives, a policy fellow of the UA American Association of University Women, an Honors Year One mentor, an ambassador for the College of Human Environmental Sciences and a University Steward, a representative of the Student Health and Safety Committee, a member of UADM, and I’m a member of various honors societies.”

What’s the most rewarding part about being President of Gamma? “The most rewarding part of being Gamma Greek Peer Health Educators President is that I have a real voice on campus to change the health of our community.  I am the collegiate leader of one of the largest health organizations on campus, and we strive to better the greek and campus community with body image and nutrition, alcohol awareness, sexual health, stress management, and mental health awareness programs.  I also get to collaborate with other organizations for health initiatives, and work with university officials to create health initiatives, such as wellness week on campus.”

How has Gamma Phi Beta impacted your life? “Gamma Phi Beta has impacted my life, because I have the opportunity to be a leader in the house, and also a mentor to over 400 members.  I get to see how we impact campus and how I am making an impact to Gamma Phi Beta and the University.  I am a legacy and feel a strong love for this organization and want to continue that trend in my family.”

What’s the best part about being at Alabama? “I am from the east coast, so being down here for school has taught me a lot about new cultures and ways people go about their everyday lives.  I have a new love for the south and the traditions this university holds.”  

What do you like to do in your free time? “I enjoy traveling with my family, I’ve been to over 16 countries, and I love yoga and zumba.”

What do you want to do once you graduate? – “I will be applying to University Hospitals student affairs, MPH, M.Ed., and PhD programs this upcoming semester.  My career goal is to become a public health professor, and eventually work for the CDC, FDA, or the NIH as a leader in health policy.  I am also in the process of interviewing for Merck, the largest pharmaceutical and public health company in the world to work in vaccine policy.  I interviewed for the Peace Corps China teaching program, and have my second and most nerve-racking Fulbright scholars interview next week to teach and participate in research in Poland.  My dream is to work for a major health company, and while working, receive my MPH, M.Ed, and PhD from a top public health institution such as Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia or Harvard.”

Do you have any advice for girls on how to succeed in college? “My advice for girls on how to succeed in college is to make a difference on campus.  Get involved and find something your passionate about, and always try to mentor those who you can lend an ear or voice to.”   

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.
Alabama Contributor