Melissa Mathews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Melissa Mathews

Hometown: Birmingham, AL

Major: Chemical Engineering

Relationship status: “Dating a wonderful and encouraging man.”

Favorite book: Ecotopia by Earnest Callenbach

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Southern Ale House 

What is your favorite part about your major? “Chemical Engineering is a surprisingly creative major. I love the balance between technical skills like math and chemistry and creative problem solving like creating new chemicals or processes and thinking about every day applications. I’ve now worked two term in a Co-Op with Eastman Chemical Company, and every day on the job I get to think outside of the box to solve problems and optimize processes. It’s really fun to challenge myself in that way.”

What do you love most about CBH? “CBH is a family. You get so close to your class and so many people. We all encourage each other to reach goals we could have never even dreamed of actually achieve while making sure we all take care of ourselves and stay positive. I really can’t even put in words what this program has meant to me over the years professionally and personally. (definitely a more in person over lots of coffee conversation).”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “Thermodynamics. The theories and applications of where energy comes from and goes will occupy your thoughts for eternity, both in good and bad ways.”

Who is your celebrity crush? Reuben Foster

Describe your dream date. “I don’t really know. Definitely something with outdooring and adventuring. This past summer, my boyfriend surprised me and took me on a sunrise hike then to Waffle House after, and I don’t know if it gets too much better than that. It’s definitely all about you and the other person just having fun and not taking things too seriously. Anything is fun with a fun person who treats you like a princess.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “HIKE. Any time I can get outside I will. I also lift. A lot. Something about being able to pick up something really heavy is exhilarating.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “When someone is feeling bad, stop asking them what you can DO because life isn’t about DOING it’s about BEING, so just BE there for them.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Maybe in graduate school earning a Ph.D. maybe working in industry. Either way I plan to be really fit and outside!”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.