Meet Your 2016 Homecoming Candidates!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Her Campus Alabama endorses these candidates for Homecoming Court 2016. Our members’ votes are their own and they have the right to choose whether to vote and whom to vote for. We encourage all voters to research any and all candidates and to decide for themselves.

Next Tuesday from 7am to 7pm on MyBama all students will have the opportunity to vote for one of nine homecoming queen candidates. We reached out to them and asked them to tell us about their platform. Read more about these awesome girls (not listed in any particular order) and remember to make your voice heard on September 26! 

Haley Ham

Sponsored by Sigma Delta Tau; Advocating for Tuscaloosa’s One Place and community building

“I want to run because this university is so incredibly close to my heart. I am a Legacy of UA but once didn’t think I would have the honor of attending. The past three years have been so amazing and have helped me to develop as a person, to meet amazing people, and live out my dreams. My platform is Tuscaloosa’s One Place, a family resource center that assists families and helps them to reach their full potential, to grow, and achieve. I’m very passionate about this cause because I have had to opportunity to work closely with Tuscaloosa’s One Place in the past through my sorority and have seen firsthand all of the amazing things that they do for families in this community. I love children and to have to opportunity to help them and bring their families closer and assist them in succeeding is truly a heartwarming experience to have.”

Megan Birkes

Sponsored by the Avanti Alumni Network; Advocating for Semper Fi and veteran awareness

“My goal in running for Homecoming Queen is to express a shared vision with the rest of campus: a vision to promote students in their own endeavors and to rise above the labels, statuses and otherwise imposed identities that should not, and cannot, define us. I have learned from my experience as an Avanti, Delta Gamma, Honors College member, Resident Advisor, and in The XXXI that we all represent UA, so let’s all work together. Let’s listen to why we are involved in certain activities rather than just what we are involved in before we make judgments. As a student body, let’s challenge one another to look beyond stereotypes or snap judgements and seek to truly know students from all walks of life, involved in a myriad of campus organizations. By partnering with Semper Fi I hope to raise awareness about issues that affect veterans. I was raised in a military family and have several family members who were wounded during their time in military service, including my father. My military family instilled an appreciation in me for every moment and opportunity I experience.”

Mackenzie Ross

Sponsored by Team One Love: Advocating for Team One Love and Turning Point Alabama and Relationship Violence Awareness

“Two years ago, I began working to raise awareness for relationship abuse on our campus because statistically college-age students are most at-risk for abuse.  I started the student organization Team One Love, and our primary goal is to educate students on the signs of abuse and resources for someone who is in an abusive relationship.  We also work closely with Tuscaloosa’s domestic violence shelter Turning Point Alabama, and we regularly host fundraisers for them. I’m involved in numerous campus organizations, including Capstone Men & Women, the Student Government Association, multiple honor societies, Alpha Chi Omega sorority, Crimson Aviators, and more.  I think the best way to truly appreciate our campus is to get involved in as many ways as possible to meet people from all different backgrounds.”

Erica Boden

Sponsored by the UA Honors College; Advocating for Young Life

“From the age of 16 I have been actively involved in Young Life. Young Life is a ministry with a simple mission statement – to love high school students where they are through prayer, going where kids go, and building personal relationships. As a high schooler who was fortunate enough to be mentored during such a pivotal time, I believe in the power of encouragement, and have worked hard in college to continue to mentor the community I live in. At Tuscaloosa County High School, I lead Young Life; to further engage in the school, I began coaching cross country. Involvement in Young Life and coaching has reinforced my belief that it is the greatest honor and privilege to positively impact the lives of others. We are all products of others pouring into us, and I am dedicated to continuing to pour out into Tuscaloosa students and the University of Alabama.”

Bryonna Burrows 

Sponsored by Alpha Kappa Alpha; Advocating for NAMI

“My name is Bryonna Rivera Burrows and I am running for Homecoming Queen because I know that as Queen, you can reach so many people and with that extended reach I want to end the stigma of depression and other mental health illnesses.  I am passionate about my platform because I personally know too many people that have had the silent moments of feeling alone and forgotten.  It hurts my heart to know that the people I keep closest to me, did not feel comfortable enough to open up and that I couldn’t see signs of depression as a lack of education. For that reason, I want to partner with organizations such as NAMI and shine a brighter light on our campus. Students of all ages, races, backgrounds and organizations go through transition points in college where they might feel isolated or alone and I want to ensure that not only do students feel more comfortable to speak on those emotions, but they also realize that they are not the only person battling them. It’s all of our responsibility!”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.
Alisha is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in Communicative Disorders and minoring in Psychology. She is the current Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Alabama. Alisha loves binge watching TV shows on Netflix, baking, writing, watching/raving about Alabama Football, and spending time with her sorority sisters. She hopes to make a difference in the world or at least in many people's lives as a hopeful Speech-Language Pathologist. Follow Alisha on Twitter (@missalisha14) and Instagram (alishaa_j). Roll Tide!