Matt Tucker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Matt Tucker

Hometown: St. Louis, Missouri

Major: Masters of Accountancy

Relationship Status: Dating Morgan Purvis

Favorite TV show: Parks and Recreation

Favorite place to study on campus: Nott Hall

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Mugshots

What clubs are you involved in? “In undergrad, I was involved in CIMG and AKPsi.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “My major is very much logic centered, which is surprising to those who have never taken an accounting class before. It really isn’t very math intensive, and is instead a big logic puzzle which I really enjoy.”

What did you love most about being in AKPsi? “AKPsi was great because it brought me relationships I would have never had outside of it. I was able to be mentored as well as mentor others along the way, and have established relationships that will be with me for a long time.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “AC 210 with McKinney is what made me decide to change one of my majors to accounting in undergrad. McKinney made it very entertaining, but I also discovered I enjoyed the material which is what has me in the position I am today.”

If your life were an ice cream flavor what would it be? “Probably cookie dough, because without the extra effort of adding in the dough, it would just be vanilla ice cream, but with the added effort it’s amazing.”

Describe yourself in three words. “Determined, reliable, intelligent.”

What do you think is your best quality? “I will never turn down someone genuinely asking for help.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “You may be able to get by on ability alone, but failing to maximize ability with effort is a disservice to yourself.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.