Celina Timmerman-Care Free
Celina Timmerman-Care Free
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

As someone who has struggled with my body image and acceptance of my body in the past, it has always been difficult to fully grasp the concept of body positivity. It is amazing and inspirational when I see women online who seem to have fully accepted their bodies. With the new age of social media, I feel that more than ever, girls are struggling to have a positive outlook towards their own bodies. In recent times, it seems like the idea of having a positive outlook towards our own bodies has been forced into becoming a new cultural norm, which is great in theory, but for most people, loving our bodies 24/7 is impractical. Instead of riding the body positivity wave, there’s a new term that might be a little easier to get behind: body neutrality. Body neutrality is simply understanding how much our bodies do for us during our everyday lives. The goal is to give some relief from the incredible pressure of being physically attractive in today’s society. It urges people to love and appreciate their bodies regardless of what they look like or what they don’t look like. Establishing complete body neutrality allows for the constant and chaotic self-criticism to reduce substantially. So, what’s the difference between body positivity and body neutrality? Body neutrality is ultimately going beyond body positivity by viewing our bodies as essential and consequential, rather than just pushing back the specific beauty ideal in current times. Your appearance is not indicative of your worth. Here’s an example of the difference: 

Body positivity: “I feel good about myself. I know I am beautiful.” 

Body neutrality: “How I feel about myself has nothing to do with my appearance.”

Here’s a few ways to push beyond body positivity and achieve body neutrality:

Start every morning with intentional self-love and affirmations

• “Today, I will nourish and cherish my body; it’s the only one I’ve got!”

• “My body is so strong.”

• “I will appreciate my body for all it does today.”

Counteract your negative thoughts about your body with logical reasoning.

• “I am self-conscious about my legs, but I need to recognize these legs carry me places every day.”

Focus on what you love about yourself and your personal strengths. 

• “I love my arms for allowing me to play sports my whole life.”

• “I appreciate my legs for allowing me to go for runs every day.”

This one is easier said than done but stop comparing yourself to others and dwelling on society’s expectations. 

• “I am built differently than the girls I see on Instagram, and that is ok.”

• “No single body is the same.”

Acknowledge and allow your body to change over time. Do not feel pressured to love your body all the time and be understanding with yourself and accept fluctuation. 

• Stop comparing your current body to your body from 5 years ago.

• It is normal for your body to change and fluctuate throughout the day.

Ava Johnson

Alabama '21

My name is Ava Johnson and I am from Jupiter, Florida. I am currently a junior at the University of Alabama, majoring in Anthropology, with a minor in Psychology and Computer Science! I really enjoy being outside, learning all about space, and meeting new people.
Alabama Contributor