This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Ya know…some people just don’t win the skin card– unfortunately, I am one of those people. Acne, scarring, rosacea, sensitivity, simultaneously oily and dry skin (somehow), you name it. These are common skin characteristic that lots of people deal with, but somehow it’s like I never see any of these on other people’s skin. I swear that everyone else has perfect skin, and it makes me extremely self conscious. However, I know that this isn’t the case. Logically, I am aware that everyone has bad skin days, and that is completely okay. I never look at others with acne or oily skin and think twice about it, so why do I nitpick my own skin?

Recently, I have noticed that my skin is getting even worse because of my medication. I am a full grown woman, and my skin is supposed to be getting better the further away I get from my hormone-ridden teenage skin, right? Apparently that just isn’t the case for me. While trying desperately to cope with my skin, I have learned a few thing that both physically help my skin and mentally make me more comfortable with the skin that I have.

1. Moisturize!!– I have oily skin, but it took me years to realize that your skin produces more oil when it lacks moisture. Therefore, using an oil-free moisturizer helps keep my oil at bay, while also healing scars.

2. Lean Towards Natural Products– Because of my sensitive skin, many harsh chemicals irritate my rosacea and cause me to break out. Even though I have pimples, most acne medications, such as salicylic acid, bother my skin, so I tend to lean more towards vitamin C serums and (diluted!!) tea tree oil to treat my acne.

3. Face Masks– Face masks, depending on the type, can help with my various skin issues, including masks for acne or rosacea. Even the ones that don’t drastically help my skin still improve my relationship with my skin.

4. Facial Massage– I’ve learned to set aside some time in my skin routine to massage my face (with clean hands). I use my fingers and take the time to massage in my moisturizer all the way, and I found a cheap face roller on Amazon for when I’m feeling like my skin needs a little extra. It not only feels amazing, but it seems to allow more blood flow in my skin to heal some of my skin issues. Plus, it only takes a few extra seconds each day!

5. Makeup– Although I would like to be the person that feels comfortable in public rocking no makeup, that just isn’t me right now. I rarely leave the house barefaced, and when I do, I just feel uncomfortable. I’m working on realizing that this is okay, too. However, I did realize that less makeup actually prevents breakouts and makes my skin look better. Thick foundation, which I used to think I needed to cover my rosacea and acne, actually makes my bumps look like mountains, accentuates both oil and dry skin patches and settles into my pores. Through my personal skin journey, I have learned that a tinted moisturizer/BB cream, concealer over bumps, and a light powder make my skin look much better than my old, thick-layered makeup ever did.

Though I am still working on my relationship with my skin, one of the most important things I am realizing is that, just because my skin is red, or scarred, or bumpy, etc., this does not mean that my skin is unhealthy. This is just my skin, and as long as I am taking proper care of it, it is beautiful in its own way. I hope that, if you have insecurities about your skin too, you will begin your own unique journey for realizing this, as well.

I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.