This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It has been a very exciting few weeks for Alabama Athletics. From DeVonta Smith winning the Heisman Trophy, to Alabama’s victory over Ohio State in the 2021 National Championship, and finally Alabama Men’s basketball win over Kentucky, there certainly has been a lot to celebrate!

On January 5th, sports fans from all over gathered to watch who would be presented the Heisman Trophy. Alabama senior and wide receiver DeVonta Smith was presented the award during a virtual ceremony as Alabama Football fans all over the world went crazy! The Heisman Trophy is one of college football’s most reputable awards and is awarded annually to the most outstanding player of the season. DeVonta beat out Alabama quarterback Mac Jones, Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, & Florida’s quarterback Kyle Trask. Smith is one of three Alabama players to claim the award, along with running back Mark Ingram (2009) and running back Derrick Henry (2015). As if this was not exciting enough, wide receivers winning the Heisman is practically unheard of. In the 85 years of the awards existence, only four wide receivers have been presented the trophy. This short list includes Desmond Howard (1991), Tim Brown (1987), Johnny Rodgers (1972) and now DeVonta Smith (2020). I’m getting tearful just thinking about it. DeVonta Smith is such a talented player and accepted the award so humbly. I’m sure Alabama fans, myself included, are so excited to see what is next for him!

Moving forward, on Monday, January 11th, Alabama Football won the National Championship Title over Ohio State 52-24! A few months ago, football fans everywhere were uncertain that this season was even going to be played, but it ended in the best way possible. Alabama now has 18 national titles overall, and this is the sixth title under Coach Nick Saban in the past 12 years. Mac Jones, Najee Harris and DeVonta Smith showed up and showed out by leading one of the best offenses in Alabama history in the biggest game of this very unpredictable season. Ohio State just couldn’t keep up! I didn’t grow up an Alabama fan, so I don’t know if I’m allowed to say that this is the best team in Alabama football history, but it is definitely a memorable one!

Lastly, Alabama Men’s Basketball. I feel like that is all I have to say. These guys are unstoppable! On Tuesday, January 12th, they beat Kentucky 85-65. Alabama ended Kentucky’s unbeaten conference start while continuing their own. Before this win, Alabama had an 8-game losing streak at Kentucky’s Rupp Area. In my opinion, this win is even more impressive because of the limited fan attendance and missing two of our best scorers in the second half. Herb Jones injured his left hand in the first half, and Jahvon Quinerly missed his third game due to medical issues. Have no fear because fan favorite John Petty Jr. scored 24 points, including four 3-pointers, and familiar face Jaden Shackelford scored 18 points! I think every Alabama basketball fan is very excited to see how things go on January 26th when Kentucky plays us at home!

So, in the very wise words of Bachelor Nation’s Hannah Brown, Roll Tide!

Hi! I'm Anna Beth! I'm Junior at The University of Alabama studying Human Resources Management. I am also from Birmingham, Alabama. I love writing and have been writing my whole life, so when the opportunity to join Her Campus at Alabama presented itself I knew I had to jump on it! Aside from writing, I am a HUGE Alabama basketball fan, Spotify playlists are my passion, I am obsessed with Taylor Swift, and I am also a Type 1 Diabetic! You can find me on Instagram and Twitter @annab_0709!
Alabama Contributor