This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Making time for yourself in college can be challenging, but it’s necessary. Typically, college involves going out almost every night while meeting tons of new people. Going out constantly can be physically, mentally, and financially draining, so it’s crucial for you to set aside time for yourself. Some may call this “self-care” and that is a completely appropriate name for it. To stick to this, you need to block out time in your schedule specifically for yourself. Here are a few ways you can make time for yourself:  

Work out

When I’m in desperate need of some time alone, I go to the gym. It’s so relaxing to work out by yourself. When I work out alone, I always make sure to have my favorite playlist on and after, I’ll typically reward myself with a delicious smoothie. Working out by yourself has another perk, being that it teaches you how to be comfortable in your own skin. For some, walking into the gym alone can be intimidating, but when you finally get in there, you’ll feel so much better.  

Get your nails done

One of my favorite things to do by myself is getting my nails done. Sometimes, I’ll get a coffee before, and I always have the best time. Getting my nails done is an activity that I enjoy doing by myself because it’s nice to spend time with yourself. If you’re just getting a pedicure, you can read a book or listen to a podcast. This is also the perfect time to relax without having anything to worry about. Spending an hour in the nail salon is a purely tranquil experience.  

Lunch date 

Eating any meal by yourself can be scary and sometimes awkward, but it’s incredibly worth it. To perfect this, start by getting your favorite meal and the next step is to find the perfect place to eat. Whether this be in a public setting or even in the comfort of your room, it’s so important to be able to sit with yourself and really enjoy a meal. Typically, I watch my favorite show or work on homework. Either way, enjoy that meal and one-on-one time with yourself.  

Vivian is a Pre-Law major at the University of Alabama. She is planning on attending law school to pursue a career as a criminal lawyer. Her hobbies and interests include traveling, working out and shopping.