This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Ever since Megan Thee Stallion released the iconic “Hot Girl Summer” hit in 2019, summer has never been the same. Everyone prepares for Hot Girl Summer by working out, breaking up with their exes, and trying out new skincare routines before their jealousy-inducing vacations and subsequent Instagram photos. Hot Girl Summer has become a mindset: You have to look flawless, be in your villain era, and be completely unbothered by your struggles to achieve “hot girl” status. Although it’s good to have something to work towards, this isn’t always healthy. Especially after a challenging semester, you shouldn’t feel the need to be “on” all the time, to work your body to exhaustion, or deprive yourself of feeling strong emotions. After some self-reflection, I’ve decided to sit out on Hot Girl Summer and, instead, have a healing girl summer.

Now, I know that “Healing Girl Summer” isn’t technically a thing. To me, Healing Girl Summer means eating food that makes your body feel good, exercising to feel good instead of for aesthetics, and spending time with yourself. It’s about recharging your energy in a way that makes sense to you; it’s about healing from the stress and struggles you faced in the past months. I feel like everyone always says that college is supposed to be the best four years of your life, but honestly, I don’t think it is. I think these four years are some of the most growing and challenging years, but they certainly aren’t the best. We feel like we have to do so much because we’ll never be this age again, but that puts so much pressure on us to do everything all at once. It’s exhausting. If nobody has told you this recently: You don’t have to be everything for everyone. Take care of yourself. Listen to your body and listen to your mind. A lot of the time, your body will know you need rest before you do.

So, this summer, if you’re feeling ready and energized to take on Hot Girl Summer, make 2022 your hottest yet. But if like me, you just want to rest, take these next few months to heal. Read a good book, lay by the pool, watch that Netflix show you’ve been putting off because you always had homework. Do nothing! PSA for all my Type-A workaholics out there: It’s actually totally acceptable to do nothing for a whole day. Summer is supposed to be a break from the stress of school, so take advantage of it. Remember that life is coming from you, not at you – make sure you’re putting good, peaceful energy out into the world. Happy Healing Girl Summer 2022!

Megan Johnson

Alabama '24

Megan is a writer for the Alabama chapter of Her Campus. She is a junior at the University of Alabama and currently double majoring in English and Creative Advertising. In her free time, she enjoys reading, art, shopping, and being with friends. She has a passion for social justice and loves to give advice, watch movies that make her cry, and FaceTime her sister just to see her cats.