How to Get Back on Your A-Game Before the Semester Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s getting to be about that time. No, unfortunately I don’t mean Thanksgiving Break, where you get to finally go home to see your loving family and friends. I’m talking about the time when it’s gotten to be midway through the school semester and the back to school energy has worn off, and it’s not close enough to leaving that you can get excited yet. The time when tests begin to feel cluttered, your Dining Dollars start to run out after all of those morning Starbucks runs, and you start to wake up to your alarm and wonder if you really have to go to that one class. Luckily for you, there is a way to combat these dreadful emotions, and it’s entirely possible to get back on the grind you had when you first came to campus in August.

Step 1: Addressing Where to Start

The first step toward getting your life organized again is to address what exact things need fixing. Are your grades starting to slack? Waking up on time? Maybe you have no problem balancing your social life, however, you haven’t touched your planner since week one. Create a list and locate what issues you personally want to be improved, and after that you’ll know what exactly you can focus on next.

Step 2: Baby Steps

The next thing that can help you become rebalanced is to separate what items on your list you can change right now, versus which will need a little bit more time to complete. For example, if your goal is to get A’s in your classes, it won’t be possible to check off the list just yet. To work towards that, you’ll need to study efficiently, turn assignments in on time and collect as many points as you can in each class before the semester ends. However, if one of your goals is to start going to the gym, it’s possible to make it happen on the same day.

Though this is a guideline on improving, don’t be discouraged by the amount of time that a goal may take to see results. Some of the best accomplishments and longest lasting habits come from discipline and time, rather than instant gratification and getting things at the snap of a finger!

Step 3: Reincorporate Healthy Habits

Another tip is to re-establish healthy lifestyle necessities back into your day-to-day routine. You can do this by being sure to drink enough water throughout the day, getting to bed at a decent hour most nights and eating nutritious food to give your body energy. These examples all have many benefits, and though they may seem like common knowledge, usually they’re the first things to be neglected when our lives become overwhelming. If you’re sure to included these practices into your daily habits, you’ll feel a lot more refreshed and ready to tackle any other goals you may have.

Step 4: Be Proud of Yourself!

The last piece of advice that I have for you is to celebrate the fact that you’ve decided to take the time to sit back and figure out ways that you can upgrade your life, even in small ways. Knowing when it’s time to revamp your habits when they’re not working out is a productive way to live, and if you stick to the goals you’ve set, you’ll be back to your motivated self in no time.

Jade R

Alabama '23