CPL Sections FOOD?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections FOOD?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Wellness > Health

How to Deal with Dietary Restrictions on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Living with food allergies and sensitivities can be stressful between finding places to eat, eating with groups of people, and explaining to people who don’t understand why you can’t eat what you can’t eat. The college transition can make that stress even worse. No matter if it’s an allergy, sensitivity, or chosen special diet, you deserve to have a college experience without that added stress. Here’s how to eat safely on campus. 

Contact your school’s dining halls and student health programs

The number one priority should be seeing what your school can do to work around your diet. Paying for a meal plan means you can and should be able to use it! Most schools work around all kinds of diets and are very helpful, but if they can’t then you may consider not paying for a meal plan.

Talk to your roommates

Roommates are an important part of your daily living situation. Before sharing a room or apartment with someone, make sure they are aware of your needs and any limits on what they can and can’t have in the room. This should also help both you and your roommate feel more comfortable in your living space.

Make a going out to eat list

Write down what places are okay and will work with you and what places won’t. That way when someone asks you out to eat, you can check your list instead of calling the restaurants and looking at menus. I suggest starting with places closest to or on campus and spreading out further from there. Most campuses will have at least one place that has gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and meat-free options. Don’t forget to find places not only for lunch or dinner but a place you can grab a coffee and go out with friends. 

Snack bag

Walking on campus can take a lot out of you and if you have back-to-back classes, you may not have time to get to places on your ‘list’ to eat. Packing a snack can save you time and stress! This way you can hold yourself over until you can get to a more substantial meal.

Don’t be afraid to speak up for yourself 

Sometimes people just don’t understand severe allergies if they don’t have any experience with them. Make sure that when you ask restaurants any questions and let them know your restrictions. When going out with friends, make sure that they know your ‘list’ of places to eat. Don’t hesitate to set boundaries. What you eat is your business and it doesn’t matter if your diet is the result of an allergy, sensitivity, chosen diet, or religion. Letting people know that it is non-negotiable will help you find people who understand and will work around your diet.

Always, always ask

If you’ve never been to a restaurant or you have been there a thousand times, always mention your dietary needs and confirm they can accommodate them.

Bars and Alcohol

It’s easy for things to get mixed up in drinking situations. Alcoholic beverages can sometimes have unexpected ingredients, so make sure to do your research or decide how big the risk is for you.

Having an allergy, sensitivity, or diet in college does not have to be hard. Remember that your college experience should be the same no matter if you have special dietary needs or not. Happy eating!

Fallon Austin

Alabama '25

Fallon is a marketing major at the University of Alabama with a Blount Scholars Program and a real estate minor, who is from Tennessee. When not focused on schoolwork she is either at an Alabama football or basketball game, writing either in her free time or for one of her many clubs. Fallon works for victims of interpersonal violence and is an animal rights advocate. She loves all things Alabama, animals, rom-com, 90's, and Walker Hayes!