Grey Price

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Grey Price

Hometown: Milton, Florida

Major: Psychology and Communication Studies

Relationship status: Single

Favorite TV show: Lovesick

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “Mr. Bills or Pastor’s Kitchen… two of Northport’s best kept secrets.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “I’ve really enjoyed psychology and communication studies because I feel like the combination of the two has made me a more effective, articulate, compassionate, and competent individual in my relationships with friends, both American and International, and it has made me more passionate about the field of Linguistics, which is what I’m applying for grad school in!”

How has your relationship with God changed since you came to college? “Since coming to college, I think the biggest thing that happened to me was a shift in perspective. Before, I think I saw God as someone who owed me, and whenever I didn’t get something I wanted, I was disappointed. Since coming to college, God has been someone I run to and place a lot of dependence on. Whenever things don’t go how I thought or planned, I know that it is in my best interest and that God has something better for me – I might just have to shift my perspective to see it. There have been so many times where I have been disappointed in college by friends or circumstances, but I have to continually look to Christ and know that He has made a way for me in the wilderness and that He has gone before me – because of that, I can forgive, I can keep fighting, and I can win because He already has.”

What was the most rewarding part about traveling to Uganda? “I could do an entire interview on just this question I think. My summer living in Uganda was the most rewarding and amazing two months of my life. While I was there, I learned so many things: patience, routine, boldness, deep reliance on God. Above all, I built some of the most authentic relationships I’ve ever had with other people, and I miss all of my friends over there so much every day. It has made me want to seek more intentional friendships here in the States and invest in people whole-heartedly. All in all, I would say that if you ever have a chance to go on the adventure of a lifetime like I did this summer, say yes – even if it shakes you to the core and scares you senseless, you’re better because you took a risk and grew from the lessons you learned.”

Describe yourself in three words. Loyal, creative, traveler.

What do you like to do in your free time? “I spent a lot of my free time working: I’m a Barista at O’Henry’s Coffee, come say hey! I really love to spend time with friends, watch TV/movies, go explore new places, and travel whenever and wherever I can!”

What do you think is your best quality? “I like to think that I’m someone who can relate to other people, so I really enjoy starting a conversation with just about anyone and finding common ground/shared experiences with them. Also, I’m pretty care free about a lot of things – when I can, I try not to take things too seriously, which has made me look on things with a lighter attitude and laugh off the small stuff.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “There’s a line from the movie “The Help” that has stuck with me since I first saw it. That movie means a lot to me – it reminds me a lot of my childhood and where I grew up, honestly. Even today, there are a lot of race issues whenever you come from a city in the deep South, and I relate a lot with Skeeter in so many ways. There’s one part of the movie where she’s having a conversation with Constantine, and Constantine tells her: ‘Every day you’re not dead in the ground, when you wake up in the morning, you’re gonna have to make some decisions. Got to ask yourself this question: Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today? You hear me? Am I gonna believe all them bad things them fools say about me today? All right? As for your mama, she didn’t pick her life, it picked her. But you, you’re gonna do something big with yours. You wait and see.’” It reminds me a lot of conversations I’ve had with my granny, who is a really important person to me – so I’ll say, that’s probably the best advice I’ve ever gotten.

Where do you see yourself in five years? “In five years, I’d like to see myself living in a different country and teaching English, while being fully immersed and living in that culture and learning to live and love with them. I don’t know if that’s what the future holds, and I’m open to anything, so at this point I’m just along for the ride.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.