This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

The mythic scholarship mostly conjures visions of a 4.0 or club involvement. Scholarships aren’t that mythic after all. Of course the merit scholarships your university gives are based on these things, but when you look around on Google you start to realize there’s a lot of scholarships that don’t care about ACT score. Money is out there, you just have to be a hunter. This scholarship search is a game, the prize is your financial freedom in college.

Firstly, scholarships are not a one and done thing. I beg you apply throughout college to any scholarship that will let you. The crowds for undergraduate scholarships are smaller. You’ll have a better chance and you’ll really know how to knock out an essay.

Scholarships will capitalize on anything that makes you unique. If you are tall, have a mean dock call, or study vacuum coating, there are scholarships for you. If you have a weird talent, or specific field of study, leverage these and search for scholarships promoting your thing.

Look local. And apply to the small ones. People in your hometown are proud of you. Many of them are part of clubs that award scholarships. Your favorite small businesses could also have money for students. If they don’t you may end up making a scholarship for yourself bt asking. So ask around town and see who you can find.

Money for college is there. We just have to know where to look. So keep your head up and eyes open. Capitalize on what makes you unique, you’ll be surprised how much mon1ey is out there.

Mads Romines

Alabama '22

Alabama native, Mads passes her time playing guitar, studying engineering, and obsessing over tattoos. Her love of Game of Thrones may be new, but her passion is unmet. When it is Alabama Football season you can find her screaming in the stands or in front of the TV. A Blount Scholar and Engineering student, Mads aims to become the worlds most prolific eco-home business woman the world has yet to see. You can find out more on her Instagram page: mads_romines
Alabama Contributor