Four Ways To Get Involved With Mental Health At UA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Mental health comes up often, but the conversation about fixing the system usually dies down after a few weeks or so. Have you ever wondered what you can do to benefit mental health causes at UA, in Alabama, and beyond? Here are four suggestions for how to take action.

Join Local Mental Health Organizations

NAMI Tuscaloosa and Tuscaloosa Mental Health Alliance are constantly fundraising and hosting speakers to progress mental health related causes in the local community and raise awareness about areas that need improvement. NAMI-UA is a student organization that has been educating and advocating on campus since 2006 and is always open to new members wanting to help make a difference.

Become an Advocate

Mental health organizations including AFSP and NAMI have whole departments dedicated to advocacy on the local, state, and federal levels. By signing up for their newsletters, you can learn how to use your voice to promote positive change for mental health resources in your area, whether you call your representatives, send them an email, or meet with them in person.

Get Trained

If you feel prepared to handle mental health crises, you will empower yourself and others to make it through dark times. Get a brief lesson on suicide prevention through UA’s free Ask Listen Refer program. You can also ask the Counseling Center to present a program to your organization about one of a variety of mental health topics. If you are looking for something to commit to long-term, apply to be a Crisis Text Line Crisis Counselor.

Volunteer

There are several places in Tuscaloosa you can volunteer if you are interested in giving back to the community through mental health service. Check out the opportunities that Tuscaloosa One Place and The Arc of Tuscaloosa have to offer, or look into on-campus opportunities like becoming a UA-ACTS mentor.

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.