Caroline Waldo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Caroline Waldo

Hometown: Ridgefield, Connecticut

Major: Political Science with minors in Public Policy Studies and Educational Studies

Relationship status: In a long distance relationship with bagels

Favorite TV show: “It’s a tie between Parks and Rec and The West Wing! I’m a political science major stereotype.” Favorite place to study on campus: “The 4M floor at Gorgas! The people there are so quiet and intense that they intimidate me into getting stuff done. Or Starbucks, if I want a more chill environment.” Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “Tazikis!! Their gyros and tomato-cucumber salad are amazing.”

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m a member of Gamma Phi Beta, UA College Democrats, and the Young Women Leaders Program!”

What is your favorite part about your major? “My favorite part is being surrounded by people who are as passionate about politics as I am! Even when I disagree with my classmate’s opinions, I love being surrounded by people who care so much about the issues that will affect our future.”

What is your favorite part about being in Gamma Phi? “My favorite part of being a member of Gamma Phi is getting to know girls that I never would have met otherwise. Everyone I know has a different background and different experiences, and I love getting to know so many awesome girls and watch them grow and succeed!”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “I have 2 favorites! The first would be UH 120 Bricks to Books with Shelley Jones. Ms. Jones is one of the sweetest, kindest teachers I’ve ever had and I learned a ton about the public education system and education policy! I also loved UH 300 The Presidential Election with Marion Steinfels. Ms. Steinfels is incredibly involved in politics (she worked for Joe Biden!!!) and it was so helpful to learn more about the intricacies of the issues that were important in this election.”

If your life were an ice cream flavor what would it be? “Probably banana with walnuts and chocolate chips! Not only is it my favorite flavor, I think it represents my life because it’s unique, but sweet and a little nutty at times.”

Describe yourself in three words. “Passionate, determined, conscientious.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “The best advice I’ve ever gotten is from my dad, who always says to stay true to yourself—not to worry about what other people think of you or what they want you to do, to be yourself and focus on what you love!”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “I’d like to be graduated from either law or grad school and living in DC helping to make a difference in the world. But at the end of the day, I just want to be happy. Also, I want a dog.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.