This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me You, have knocked me off my feet again, got me feeling like a nothing Being constantly hurt by people who are supposed to be your friends and allies. Wondering what your worth is when you are betrayed by people who are supposed to accept you unconditionally.

But you’re neither friend nor foe though I can’t seem to let you go The one thing that I still know is that you’re keeping me down

Giving your all to something and getting disappointment in return. Learning that you deserve better than dedicating yourself to something where your efforts go largely unappreciated.

Pull myself together from the fallout of forever for everyone to see No, you don’t get to get to me

Living with the pain and using it to become a stronger person. Distancing yourself from something that you thought would last forever when you realize it is a lost cause.

And it took so long just to feel alright Remember how to put back the light in my eyes

Resisting the temptation to reaffiliate no matter how clear your reasons for leaving seem. Remembering how much it hurt you to stay when you think about toughing it out.

As the smoke clears, I awaken and untangle you from me All my windows still are broken But I’m standing on my feet

Losing everything and starting over. Realizing that you are okay and that you will make it through this.  

’Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell I had to learn how to fight for myself, And we both know all the truth I could tell Finding yourself and your inner strength. Learning how to process your experience and forgive.

I believe in what I am, I believe in what I was I believe in losing you, I’ve never been given so much Regaining your confidence and rediscovering your sense of self-worth. Finding that you are better off without the negativity in your life.

Everything is changing and I never wanna go back to the way it was I’m finding who I am and who I am from here on out is gonna be enough

Feeling free of the agony that held you hostage. Loving yourself being enough, even though you were told for so long that was not true.

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.