Amanda Boornazian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Amanda Boornazian

Hometown: Downingtown, Pennsylvania

Major: Biology, Pre-Med

Relationship status: In a relationship

Favorite book: When Breath Becomes Air Favorite place to study on campus: Ferg Starbucks Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Taco Mama

What clubs are you involved in? “I am an Arts and Sciences Ambassador and an Honors Ambassador; I’m involved with the Diabetes Education Team in the Honors College; I’m a student leader for Alabama Action; a member of the University Fellows Experience and a student leader for their Black Belt Experience – a 3-week servant leadership immersion program in Marion, AL; run a biotech business; Cardinal Key; research in the biology department.”

What is your favorite part about your major? “As a biology major there’s a lot of information that directly applies to life, which has been a cool aspect of my major. You’re able to understand illness, medicines and a fun party fact is always being able to explain ATP production (kidding). But what’s really cool is using the material that you thought you’d never use. When I was traveling through Iceland, I had just finished Ecology and Evolution and that isn’t always directly applicable to human everyday life. But I was able to use what I learned and truly understand this new place I was in from glaciers, wildlife, hot springs, or even explaining what the temperature gradient is in hot or dry environments when elevation increases. And I think using the information you assumed wasn’t as interesting or you would never use is the best part of being in biology. Because everything has relevance you just have to find out how.”

Describe your dream date. “This definitely involves some sort of somewhat spontaneous adventure. It could be anything – a trip to the beach, a hike, buying the cheapest plane tickets to somewhere and figuring it out when we land or just walking around town – but most importantly it’s uninterrupted quality time.”

Describe yourself in three words. Adventurous, Motivated, Passionate 

What do you like to do in your free time? “Travel, plan travel and walk my dog. I always like to be moving so even after a long day of classes I always make sure to take my five-year old labradoodle, Franny, for a walk. And once she’s tired out for the day, my next favorite thing to do is plan my next adventure. Whether it be a weekend trip to San Francisco, a weekend in Iceland or another summer in Australia and Fiji, I look forward to putting more push pins in my world map. And I like to put my planning and logistical skills to the test and try to coordinate flights and hotels and some crazy tour like bungee jumping even if I have to bookmark it for later.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “‘If it’s out of your control, there’s no sense getting upset about it.’ My dad would always say this when I was younger and I absolutely hated it but it has really stuck with me and I find myself saying it almost every day. When something doesn’t go my way it’s so easy to just get upset and emotional about it but that does no good. Instead I’ve learned to create a plan to accommodate changes that I couldn’t have prevented. Sure, I still get upset sometimes because who doesn’t but my dad always taught me it’s best to not waste time worrying about something I’ll never be able to change.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.