Alex Reeder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Alex Reeder

Pronouns: they/them/their(s)

Hometown: Tampa, FL

Major: Chemical engineering and chemistry

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Glory Bound

Favorite band: Pentatonix

What is your favorite thing about the University of Alabama? “The fact that UA has so much room to grow and improve, and that there are so many people here who want to make a difference and change the status quo.”

What do you love most about being involved in Spectrum? “Everything, honestly. My favorite part is being at the Spectrum table during Get on Board Day and having people excitedly come up and tell us how happy they are that they’ve found our group because they didn’t think a group like Spectrum would exist at UA. Knowing that we as a group have had that kind of impact on someone’s life makes the more frustrating times completely worth it.”

If you could change something about UA what would it be? “I would add more empathy and compassion to our campus.”

What is the best advice you have ever gotten? “‘Don’t let yourself become complacent.’ Really simple, but even when things seem overwhelmingly disheartening, you have to keep fighting.”

Do you have any advice for students questioning their gender identity or sexual orientation? “Try to surround yourself with people who are accepting of your identities at all times, even when you feel like you aren’t really sure what those identities are. On that note, be kind to yourself; sometimes identities/labels can be pretty evasive, but know that you have plenty of time to figure things out, so there’s no need to feel like you have to come out immediately. Do whatever you need to do to keep yourself safe and healthy. Finally, UA has several great resources to help you (shameless plug for Spectrum and Safe Zone), so let us know if there’s anything we can do to help you on this crazy journey.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.