Alex Franco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Alex Franco

Hometown: Willow Springs, IL

Major: Biology and Spanish

Favorite TV show: The Office (While Michael is still there) 

Favorite place to study on campus: Starbucks or Bruno Library because there is some background noise. 

What has your experience been like as an out-of-state student? “Many students at UA are not Alabama residents so I’ve never really felt out of place as an out-of-state student. During my time at UA, I’ve learned a lot about southern culture from my friends down here and it’s so interesting to compare it to the northern culture I grew up with. Overall I’ve loved my experience in at UA and I’ve made great friends that live all over the country.”

What do you miss most about Chicago? “I definitely miss the food. Chicago has so many amazing foods that are unique to the area. We have amazing Italian beef and of course deep dish pizza.” 

Do you have any advice for girls for succeeding in college? “My advice for girls succeeding in college: don’t let people tell you what you are capable of academically or in your career based on your gender. For instance, people always told me the sub-specialty of medicine I was interested in was very male dominated, and my response to that was “And so was all of medicine at one point”. If you want to achieve something, go after it.”

What is your favorite part about being in a sorority? “I love meeting so many new people on a consistent basis! Sororities at Alabama are very large but the positive to that there are always new people to talk to. It’s always so interesting to figure out that you have something in common with someone that you happened to sit next to at lunch one day. I also love that I have such a great support network because of my sorority sisters.”

If your life were an ice cream flavor what would it be? “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough”

What is the best concert you’ve even gone to? “Hands down the best concert I’ve ever been to was Paul McCartney at Lollapalooza music festival 2015. I grew up listening to the Beatles, so seeing Paul perform on the lakefront of Chicago was definitely special.” 

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “If you think you can, you will. If you think you can’t, you’re right.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.