Alanna Fagan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Alanna Fagan

Hometown: Orlando, FL

Major: Theatre/Economics

Relationship status: Single

Favorite band: “Fall Out Boy or Panic! at the Disco, because middle school never truly leaves you.”

Favorite place to study on campus: “Wherever I have silence and a large table. Usually Gorgas or Rowand-Johnson.”

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m in Alpha Psi Omega, Spectrum, and Stand Up Paddleboarding”

What is your favorite part about your major? “It’s what I love and like to do. It’s paperwork and table work mixed with kinematic movement, and being by myself and working collaboratively. I get build and create whatever I want, for the most part.”

What do you love most about being in APO? “The people. It’s getting a lot bigger, but I love the little pockets of friends and ‘families’ that stick together.”

What are you passionate about? “I once succinctly summarized it as ‘racism, misogyny, and bees.’”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “There are a lot of classes I am very appreciative of, especially in regards to my career, but I do have an exquisite fondness for my Feminist Theatre class that I took the spring semester of my sophomore (I think) year. Not only did it introduce me to the wonders of Dr. Steve Burch, but it also let me absorb some new perspectives and try to stand up for my own. I make a lot of unpolished mistakes in that class, and I’m glad for it.” 

Who is your celebrity crush? “There are so many, but Amy Poehler is wonderful and gave us Parks and Recreation and honestly I am so thankful.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I love to make things with my hands. I’m very fidgety, so I’ll just write extraneous tidbits in cursive during class or make paper cranes (shout out to Steve Burch for not expelling me from class).” 

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “Get to work, as told to me by several people, but it only means something from a couple of them.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “Hopefully making money and waves.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.