This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Fall is an exciting time of the year.  Cooler weather, football season, pumpkin patches, Halloween, Thanksgiving… the list goes on and on. There’s so many cute and fun activities to do with family and friends this season, but on top of the time that we want to spend with our family and friends, midterms are around the corner, work is starting to pile up, and campus activities are busier than ever. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed and fall into “a mid-semester slump.” It is so important, now more than ever, to take time for yourself. Luckily there are fall related self-care activities that you can do right at home. Here’s just a few:

Go shopping for fall decor. 

Stores are fully stocked with fall decorations. A few of my favorites are TjMaxx,Target, and HomeGoods! They seriously have the cutest decor, whether you are looking for a fall themed doormat, fake pumpkins, pillows, lights or bedding, these stores have it all and at a pretty affordable price! Shopping is an amazing activity to do to just get out of the house and fill a few hours of your day. If you like DIY projects like I do or just don’t want to break the bank, I really suggest going to thrift stores as well.  There’s bound to be at least one vintage thing that you find by surprise, that you can spray paint or do whatever with! Thrift stores also usually have great clothes for the fall and winter months, so buy something new and vintage for your closet as well.  Transforming your space will make it feel fall-ready and encourage you to embrace this new season with comfort.

Have a spa day at home.

This is probably one of the easiest activities that you could do at home to help yourself rejuvenate and slow down. If you’re obsessed with face masks like I am, you probably have a bunch near your sink that you have yet to use. So, put on your face mask and while you wait to take it off, you can read a book or watch a Halloween movie! This is the perfect time to do your nails, hair or anything else that you might not have time to do on a normal night. 

Try out a fall recipe. 

Baking is so much fun in the fall, even if you do not usually cook. Most recipes are fairly simple and do not require too many ingredients. There’s a large variety of recipes out now that include pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salted caramel or something similar! Baking will also make your space smell amazing! It’s so rewarding seeing your recipes come to life after putting time and effort into finding the perfect one, gathering the ingredients, and making it in your kitchen. 

Go outside!

With the cool weather we have now, it is a great time to go on runs, walks, or hikes. My favorite time to go on walk or run is at sunset because who are we kidding- Tuscaloosa sunsets are the prettiest. If you love to hike, I really suggest Oak Mountain in Birmingham. It’s a little over an hour away, but it’s the perfect quick getaway and has the best views! Physical exercise is so important to our mental and physical health, so try to stay as active as possible this season.

Do nothing. 

In a society that always tells us that we must be doing something, remember it’s okay to just do the bare minimum sometimes. If all you did today was the necessities, that’s okay. You don’t always have to go out of your way to be productive. Sometimes a day off is exactly what your mind or body has been urging you to do. So, don’t feel bad if you look at your to-do list and realize you didn’t do all that you had hoped, but recognize that maybe you needed a day off and didn’t even know it. 

I know this fall looks a little different this year as we face a pandemic, but I am hopeful that we will all overcome any challenges this season. So, go and do the absolute best you can as we approach the end of 2020 and remember: you are already enough! 

Takera Davis

Alabama '23

Takera is a sophomore at The University of Alabama pursuing a degree in Human Development and Family Studies. In her free time, she enjoys painting, writing, and trying new things! She hopes to work with children one day and make a difference in her community.
Alabama Contributor