samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive the Madness: Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

It is midterm week and we all know what that means: hours in the library, no sleep, and constant flow of coffee. Midterms are stressful and all this stress, caffeine, and lack of sleep can really take a toll on your body. Here are some quick and easy self-care tips to make sure you are at your best for all of your upcoming exams!  

1. Take a Break

Set a timer for 30-45 mins and, when that goes off, take a 10 minute mental health break. Try not to study one subject for hours on end. Take it little by little; you’ll feel more relaxed and prepared that way.

2. Face Mask, Face Masks, Face Masks

Nothing says self-care more than a nice peel off or sheet mask. They’re super quick and super easy and leave your skin feeling amazing. Try putting a face mask on while studying. This will also give you a chance to take that much needed study break.

3. Sleep

Your body needs sleep in order to function properly. You won’t retain anything you’re studying unless you have the necessary hours of sleep. I know it’s tempting to pull all-nighters studying, but I promise you it will not help in the long run.

4. Try Limiting Your Caffeine

I know this one is usually impossible, but caffeine can make you jumpy and anxious, especially in large amounts. This is not a good environment while trying to study. You might feel like you’re getting everything done, but it’s a trick and that crash will be coming for you.

5. Go Out With Friends

This one ties in with taking a break. The best stress reliever is to just stop doing it and relax. Go hangout with your friends, grab food, get ice cream, or get your nails done. Do whatever you need to get your mind off of homework for an hour or two.

6. Don’t Cram All In One Night

The best advice I can give is to start studying long before your exam. It is important that you actually learn the content, not just memorize it. If you prepare in advance you’ll feel less stressed out and worked up about the exam.

That’s all I’ve got for you guys. Just remember to listen to your body and know that this one exam is not the end of the world. Make sure to put yourself first and let the rest come. You’ll do great if you feel great! Good luck!

I am a middle child of a single mom from Pittsburgh, PA. I am currently studying English as a major and Philosophy as a minor at the University of Akron. I love reading, writing, hiking, camping, doing community service, and hanging out with friends and family. I have a spunky kitty names Charlie who runs my life!