ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

College 101: How to Reduce Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

If you’re reading this article, you probably saw the title and said to yourself, “well, I’m pretty stressed out, I could use some coaching in this area”.  As we approach the end of the fall semester, assignments are beginning to pile up, project deadlines are quickly sneaking up, and those final exams aren’t going to study for themselves. Getting caught up in the stressful every day motions of school is not an easy thing to defeat, and I think we all could use a reminder on proper ways to take care of yourself when you feel overwhelmed and stressed out.  So here are a few tips and tricks to keeping a level head and surviving everyday college life!

1. SLEEP

That is the #1 tip I have for anyone who is stressed out. Most of the time, when we are feeling overwhelmed, it might have something to do with lack of sleep. It may be hard to make time for sleep, but do it. You will start to feel more refreshed and able to complete the tasks you need to do. The University of Michigan Student Life emphasizes the necessity for college students to get a full night’s rest, and even take a 10-45-minute nap halfway through the day. When you are more rested, you are able to retain more in your long-term memory than if you pull an all-nighter and try to cram information the night before an exam.

2. Eat Properly

One of the hardest things to do in college is eat properly. When there is nothing but junk food on campus, making a habit of eating right becomes dreary, and almost impossible. Everyday Health says, “A steady diet of pizza and vending-machine fare can decrease energy levels in the body, leading to a lower threshold for stress”. Basically, the more you make a habit of eating junk food, the easier it is going to be for you to feel overwhelmed and stressed.

3. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

Give yourself permission to make mistakes! We all do. There will be situations that you do not have control over (due dates, exam days, etc.), but you do have control over how you react to those circumstances. Instead of beating yourself up about missing a homework assignment, make a plan to avoid it happening again. Set up a planner routine, start putting dates into your cellphone calendar, or write a to-do list on a sticky note.

4. Take study breaks.

Study for an hour and then take a 15-minute break. When you take your break, be wise with how you use your time. If you know that an activity is going to prevent you from transitioning back into your studies, that may not be the best time to engage in that activity. Take a walk outside, do a few stretches to get your blood flowing, or even tidy up your surroundings. It’s hard to focus in an area that is cluttered. A few things you should avoid during your study break: snacking on junk food, taking a nap, watching TV, or drinking a lot of caffeine. Also, a study break should never be another means of procrastination! Be diligent, and keep yourself accountable in your study habits.

5. Try not to overload yourself.

I understand this is easier said than done. I am the type of person that loves to get involved with absolutely everything, but there is a line I have to draw when I feel like I am overloading my schedule. It is okay to say no to certain activities! When you feel too overstretched, it becomes difficult to prioritize tasks and complete them when needed.

The fall semester is always full of chaos, and everyone has their own way to manage their stress. If you are unsure how to manage your own, try these five tips and see if there is a difference. Once you become accustomed to your routine, it will be easier to figure out exactly what you need in order to keep your sanity and continue with success.

University of Akron English Education Major