Campus Involvement: What’s the Sitch?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The easiest way to acquaint yourself with extracurriculars is through Roo Connect

So here’s a quick Roo Connect 101: You’ve probably heard of Roo Connect, but what is it?! Roo Connect is the University of Akron’s online portal to campus involvement. You can search through over 300 student organizations, learn more about them, and join with the click of a button. With Roo Connect, you can find events coming up on campus (and even sort them by events that offer free perks!) Can’t find the organization for you? Find one under the Special Interest tab on Roo Connect!

Residence Hall Government

If you’re a freshman, you’ve probably lived in a residence hall for about a month now, but after class, all you want to do is take a nap and eat some mac n cheese. Maybe you’ve made connections with the people on your floor, but there’s a way to get involved with the entire building! Hall government is a great way to meet other people, gain leadership experience, and do it all from the comfort of your own building. Members of each residence hall’s government have the opportunity to serve on the Residence Hall Council. Being a member of this organization allows you to have an opportunity to become involved and voice your opinions. If you are interested, talking about it with your RA is a great way to learn more!

Serve Akron

Serve Akron is a great way to make a difference on campus! Out of the 259 events held by campus programs last year, 99 of them were planned by the Serve Akron crew! Some of their events include Drop-In Service events, Service Fridays, and Super Service Saturdays. For Drop-In Service events, students can stop in one of the Student Union lounges to craft something for a non-profit organization. On Service Fridays and Super Service Saturdays, students can take a trip on the Roo Express and go to the location of a non-profit in the Akron community. Some perks of being involved in Serve Akron are meeting new people, making a difference, and doing hands-on activities! 

Sororities

There are eight sororities at UA! Six of them are governed by the Panhellenic Council: Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Phi, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta, and Kappa Kappa Gamma; whereas two of the sororities are governed by the National Pan-Hellenic Council: Alpha Kappa Alpha and Zeta Phi Beta. The main difference between PHC sororities and NPHC sororities is that they are governed by different councils and have different recruitment processes. Sororities all have individual philanthropies, core values, and traditions. There are also sororities and fraternities dedicated to service or to a specific college such as Alpha Phi Omega, Tau Beta Sigma, Kappa Kappa Psi, Pi Sigma Epsilon, and more!

AK-ROWDIES

The AK-ROWDIES is one of the largest student organizations at the University of Akron. These students are full of UA spirit and travel far and wide to support the Zips at all types of athletic events. When you join for a membership fee of $10, you receive a t-shirt, free food and seating at games, free road trips, and entry to the AK-ROWDIES tailgate tent! You will become a presence on campus when you’re with the AK-ROWDIES. You can ask for more information by contacting theakrowdies@gmail.com.

LGBTQ+ Organizations

There are a few organizations dedicated to LGBTQ+ pride and support such as Pride in STEMM, the Gay Straight Law Alliance, and LGBTUA. LGBTUA. LGBTUA is an organization of students, faculty, allies, and alumni who are dedicated to providing an environment that is educational, supportive, and advocates for the LGBTQ+ community. Some of their goals are to develop programs and social events that work to educate others, tear down stigmas, and implement UA policies to guarantee equality without discrimitation.

Multicultural Organizations

Being away from home for the first time can be absolutely terrifying, especially if you aren’t surrounding yourself with people who share your culture or traditions. There are tons of organizations on campus that celebrate diversity and culture such as the African Students Organization, The Asian-American Student Organization, UA Latinos, The Black Excellence Commission, The Cross Cultural Association, The Chinese Students and Scholars Association,  The Everest Nepalese Student Organization, The Indian Student Association (Drishti), the Muslim Students Assocation, and so many more! Additionally, the Office of Multicultural Development in Simmons Hall offers peer mentoring and is a great place to stop by and get more information about becoming involved in diverse organizations on campus!

Major Specific Organizations

Being involved on campus is a great way to add to your resume, but another great way to make career advances is to join an organization that is related to your field of study! There are so many different programs here at UA, and there are student organizations relating to a vast majority of them. There are organizations such as the Law School Student Organizations, the Law Association for Women, the National Student Speech Language & Hearing Association (NSSLHA), Student Nurses Association, Sociology Club, Psi Chi (psychology), Economics Club, Exercise Science Club, Health Professions Club, Engineering Student Council, Society of Women Engineers, and so many more. A great way to get involved in major-related organization is to talk to your advisor or one of your professors!

Althletic Clubs

Many high school athletes may not continue on with their sport at the collegiate level, but do not worry! If you are interested in athletics, there are plenty of ways to stay in shape and be a part of a team. At UA, there are organizations dedicated to Club Sports including bass fishing, dodgeball, ice hockey, running club, baseball, golf, swimming, ultimate frisbee, bowling, tennis, basketball, lacrosse, paintball, and more! Club Sports is a category on Roo Connect so you can find a sport that you are interested in and inquire about joining a team! Another great organization to join to stay active is CHAARG, or Changing Health, Attitudes, and Actions to Recreate Girls. CHAARG is a supportive, empowering organization with a focus on finding good workouts to keep every woman involved feeling happy and healthy.

Political Organizations

Whether you were on the debate team in high school, the president of the student body, or you’re just really interested in politics, getting involved in a political organization can be a great way to get back to what you’re passionate about. On campus, three of the main political organizations are College Republicans, College Democrats, and Undergraduate Student Government. The College Republicans are a group with a mission to make friendships with those who are seeking political experience and opportunities through the Republican Party. College Democrats are dedicated to activism via promoting issues and supporting their members. Both organizations offer networking and career-building opportunities. Undergraduate Student Government, or USG, represents the undergraduate students at UA by advocating for change on campus. Their main mission is #UnitingUA.

Religious Organizations

Many students move to college, but miss the sense of community that religious practices and groups offered them in their hometown. Here at the University of Akron, there are organizations for all faiths such as Delight, Campus Focus, Aletheia, H2O, Roo Catholic, Hillel, The Muslim Students Association, and more. To find out more about Religious & Spiritual Organizations, visit Roo Connect to find the right group for you!

Hi! I'm a junior at the University of Akron studying speech-language pathology & audiology with a minor in Spanish and certifications in American Sign Language and Spanish for the Health Professions. I am sorority woman, student leader, and I am involved in a lot of different organizations on campus. My passions include traveling, music, social issues, and art.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.