This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I can remember sitting at the commencement ceremony of my high school graduation wondering where I would end up in the next four years of my life. I had not decided on a school at that point and I had no idea what it was I wanted to pursue. Though I have not sat through my college ceremony yet, after submitting my final paper of undergrad, I have had the chance to reflect. I have thought about all of the emotions I have felt in the past four years. Each moment, good or bad, has lead me to this point. In my assessment I have found 5 major feelings that help to draw a picture of what those who will soon be receiving their diploma might also feel.

Fear

Even having a plan after graduation does not guarantee a feeling of security in my experience. Just like leaving high school, we are on to a new chapter. Whether it is stepping into a real world job or career or continuing our education, change can be scary. There is also the fear that these four years were supposed to be the absolute best of my life, and the disappointment that will follow if they were not. There is a fear of not knowing what do next. Even after buying a bit more time until real adulthood sets in, anxieties about not being as prepared as you could be for adulthood are real. An important thing to keep in mind when having these fears is that people have been in your shoes beforehand and if you do your research, there are many ways to make your future what you want it to be.

Regret

Even though I was involved in organizations on campus and took advantage of resources the university provided, I still have regrets. Regrets about not getting involved sooner or not attending events are burdens I had to learn to let go of. Instead of holding on to the missed opportunities, try focusing on all of the experiences that you did take hold of. I made connections with many people in my time engaging in community services and other activities on campus. Working for the university helped me get acquainted with staff and students that aided my success.

Appreciation

For the success that I have accumulated I am grateful. I would not have been able to do it on my own. As much as I would like to think, this opportunity would not have been possible without my friends and family. Financial and emotional support over the last four years were essential to my survival and completion of my degree. I am lucky enough to be at a university that is filled with people willing to help. From professors and employers to peers, I have never felt afraid of asking for assistance and have always found aid in those around me. I have been able to pursue my dreams and am one step closer in making them a reality. For me, I hold gratitude at a high value and I try to express it to those who deserve it every chance I get.

Pride

These successes that I have earned over the past four years, I would have never thought possible in the past. College came with road bumps for me, not because of my inability to keep up with coursework, but more so the molding that took place. I was faced with many choices that would determine what kind of adult I would be. Would I choose the route with merit, or would I choose the easier course that would lead to self-destruction. I found these questions were asked more often than that of my ability to write a paper. I came out stronger on the other side of adversity and I rose to the occasion time after time. For this, and for all others who have made it to this point, we should have pride. For some the school work may never be easy, for some it is a struggle from beginning to end, but no matter the journey, we should be proud of ourselves to have made it to the next stage.

Excitement

As I am in my last week of finals, I know that the end of the week will bring strong emotions. I’ll be sitting in a seat familiar to the one four years ago, but now I will be filled with even more knowledge. I still have questions—some may never be answered—but I do have enough security in my newfound confidence in my ability to get things done. I can release those doubts, fears and regrets. And that moment when my name is called, I know I will be able to feel the love of my family in the audience. I will have nothing left but pure excitement for what is to come, because as I’ve heard it said before, that will be the best.

Hello! My name is Alexia Santiago. I am senior Psychology major at The University of Akron. I am originally from Boardman, OH. I sing and write poetry but what I enjoy most is helping others. I live by three words; Gratitude. Empowerment. Kindness. Our thoughts become reality, I try to keep mine positive. I am excited to share my thoughts with you all!
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.