Ways to Celebrate National Student Volunteer Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Celebrated annually each February 20th, National Student Volunteer Day serves as a reminder of the importance of community service. By participating in service projects, those who volunteer can make a huge impact on their community. Here are a few ways you can celebrate this day, both on February 20th and throughout the rest of the year. 

Help out a local animal shelter

There are many ways you can help animal shelters. One thing you can do is sign up to be a volunteer at a nearby animal shelter. One of the closest ones to Agnes Scott is PAWS Atlanta, which is a no-kill dog and cat shelter. If you can’t commute to an off-campus animal shelter, you could also start a small fundraiser, such as a bake sale to raise some money to donate. Another thing you could do is make some cat or dog toys to give to a shelter.

Sign up to be a tutor with Mind Bubble

Mind Bubble is a nonprofit that provides free tutoring to students throughout the Atlanta area. On Wednesday’s tutoring sessions happen on Agnes Scott’s campus at the Bullock Science Center from 6:15-8:15. If you’re interested in signing up, visit Mind Bubble’s website at https://mindbubble.org for more information. 

Join Scottie’s for Change 

Scottie’s for Change is Agnes Scott’s community service club. If you’re not already a member, I encourage you to join! They usually have meetings every Monday at 6:00 pm. If you join the club, then you’ll have the opportunity to participate in a variety of different service projects, and transportation will be provided by other club members if you don’t have a car.

These are only a few ways that you can celebrate National Student Volunteer Day. I encourage you all to volunteer as often as you can because it’s a great way to give back to those in need. Whether you decide to do something on this list or another service project, then I hope that you enjoy your volunteering experiences, as much as I have. 

Jessica Rao

Agnes Scott '23

Jessica is a freshman at Agnes Scott College. She currently plans on majoring in psychology. She loves volunteering, writing, and photography.