This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Lately, I’ve taken to the phrase “fake it till you make it” and everything was going really well until I realized faking it is really hard. Acting like the person I want to be requires that I take twenty credit hours that I can manage, I study twenty additional hours a week, then prep for my LSAT twenty hours on top of that (gee is twenty my lucky number) and for the past month I’ve been doing really well at managing everything and sticking to my schedule. But now I’m waking up and dreading the work I have to do. So, for both you and me here’s ten ways we can avoid burnout.

Take a break/day off

This one might seem like the easiest but I find it as one of the hardest. But, it is the most beneficial. Your brain is going to need a day where you’re just not thinking about the work you have to do. Scheduling a day (or if you don’t have a day some time) off will let your brain relax and refresh so you can go back to working later with the best attitude. Even if you’re tempted to work on those days or at those times HOLD BACK. It will be ten times easier to work if you’ve let yourself replenish your mental energy. 

Try meditation

I never really liked meditation until I was forced to do it, but now I actually really enjoy it. I totally understand the skepticism of ‘how is just sitting there going to help or accomplish anything?’ but give it a try and you’ll find that it’s really refreshing. If you’re feeling really overwhelmed take a minute and just breathe. I like to set a ten minute timer and just focus on my breathing. Even better if you can go outside and get some sunlight.

Open a window

In the same vein of sunlight, open up your windows! Feeling locked into your room won’t help your brain. Some natural light can really help your brain perk up! This is especially helpful if you’ve been cooped up with COVID and haven’t seen the outside in awhile.

Change your environment 

If I have been working for a few hours already, I like to move rooms. I find that a change in scenery can help your brain feel like you just started instead of being on your fifth hour of work. 

Keep a clean desk

If your desk is cluttered your head’s going to be cluttered. Make sure your space is clean and you’ll feel more comfortable and clear headed. 

Go for a run

This is especially important if you’ve been sitting for awhile. Even just a walk can help take you out of your working mind for a minute and allow you to come back to your work feeling refreshed. 

Sing while you work

If you’re someone who has difficulty multitasking then this tip may not help you much, but personally singing while I work really helps me enjoy what I’m doing more. Lately I’ve just been playing some Taylor Swift while completing my readings and it’s made the time go by much faster. 

Do something creative

Taking a break to do something creative will both take you out of your work mindset as well as allow some creative expression. Try drawing, dancing, writing, singing, or any other craft you like! If you don’t really do any creative work it would also be helpful to try something new.

Get 8-9 hours of sleep 

If you don’t get enough sleep you will wake up groggy and unable to work. Making sure you set up a strict bedtime routine and get in your 8-9 hours will really help you. Some people also need more or less sleep so make sure that the hours of sleep you’re getting are working for you, and if not go ahead and tweak them. 

Make a list

This could be a list of things to do, why you want to do things, things you’ve done, favorite types of cats, anything. Making a list might help you feel more relaxed as organizing tends to make people feel. 

I hope some of these tips work for you! Of course, everything isn’t for everybody so some of these tips might not work, but I’m hoping at least one will help us all stay focussed and hard working during these stressful times! 

Isadora Clements

Agnes Scott '22

I'm a History major with a minor in English on a leadership track at Agnes Scott. I'm interested in law, mental health, feminism, socialism, and disability awareness.