clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Alexa Chang on Pre-Graduation Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

When one of my best friends announced her plans to graduate early, I was shocked. How could I survive my final year without her! That was a year ago, and now Alexa is steadily getting ready to graduate. The other day I sat down with Alexa to check in with her, and ask her a few questions about her senior year.

Her Campus: Hey Alexa, thank you so much for agreeing to talk with me today. So, first question, do you have a nickname?

Alexa Chang: Do I have a nickname? Um, no. Well, I feel like my own name is my nickname. Everyone always yells “Hey Alexa!”

HC: Oh… I get you like the AI. Hey, Alexa! What are your majors?

AC: I’m majoring in physics and math.

HC: How does it feel to be a second-semester senior?

AC: Uggghh. You know, I told myself that I would do well [this semester]. And I’ve been doing well so far, and I can get through this. But lately, it’s been hard. Sometimes I’m like ‘I don’t want to do this.’ But I have to get it done. Senioritis is real.

HC: Speaking of last classes, what’s your favorite class this semester?

AC: The thing is I’m taking two 400 level classes this semester, and two other class for full-time status. So, I’m just trying to get through. #Senioritis

HC: Switching gears… Do you have your graduation dress picked out?

AC: Yes!! Let me show you.

*Alexa pulls out her phone and reveals a mid-thigh length white lace dress with intricate collar details and perfect body contour*

HC: YAAAASSSS!! OMG, that looks so good on you!! Watch out May 2017.

AC: 2018.

HC: Oh god, you’re right. It’s basically 2020.

AC: Yep.

HC: Well, when your not all dressed up, what do you like to do for fun?

AC: Sleep.

HC: Preach…

AC: But seriously… Sleep, eat, and when I have time I like to play video games.

HC: Oh really?

AC: Recently I’ve been playing a lot of Don’t Starve. I took a long break from Overwatch, but I’ve started to get back in. And there’s a big update coming out for Overwatch, so I’m excited about that.

HC: So, it’s your last semester at Agnes. Looking back at your experiences here, what is the one moment that you will always look back at with joy?

AC: My favorite moment while at Agnes was when we [referring to our friend group of twelve] went to grocery bingo and swept the competition.

HC: Oh yea!!! And we yelled at the bingo man. What was his name?

AC: Matt!!!! His name is Matt. B12 Matt!!!! Give me B12!!!

HC: Poor Matt. On the flip side, if you could change one thing about Agnes before you leave, what would it be?

AC: One thing? Hmm… I would definitely change the food. I just wish there were more options. I understand that Mollies and Evans cover the basics. But, what if I want tacos at 10 p.m. on a Tuesday? If it’s not taco Friday, you won’t be getting tacos at Agnes. Also, I would like any kind of fast food place here. Panda Express, Chick-fil-A, I mean, I would even go for a Subway. I feel like I am betraying the culture, but Panda Express is one of the most common restaurants on college campuses. I would love to have a Panda Express on campus.

HC: #PandaExpress2018

*Our conversation diverges at this point to talk about food at Agnes, but I digress*

HC: As a graduating STEM major, what’s the one piece of advice that you want to leave for our first-year readers? Especially a STEM first-year.

AC: I think at Agnes, especially if you are a STEM student, it is important to know what you are doing especially when it comes to planning out your classes for the semesters. It can be really difficult if you do not plan ahead. Just make sure you are on track. For any type of STEM major, from bio-chem to engineering, you have to stay ahead of all the requirements. You have to take a lot of classes but in the right order.

HC: As one of the first Scotties to graduate with the SUMMIT experience, what advice do you have for the first-years as they approach the rest of the SUMMIT curriculum?

AC: That’s a little difficult for me to say. The way that [the Sprites] came into SUMMIT versus how it is today is completely different. But I would say, it’s important to take advantage of all the opportunities that are offered with SUMMIT. Especially because they focus so heavily on the first two years. They are really doing a lot to develop the leadership program. So take advantage of those opportunities. Really pay attention in leadership classes, and watch out for opportunities that can help with personal growth. If you do well in those classes [GBL and LDR], you will do well in your other classes.

HC: What are your plans after Agnes?

AC: Well, I’ve already applied to grad-school for industrial engineering. I just turned one in last week.

HC: YAY!

AC: Now that I’ve finished a few applications, I don’t want to dwell on them anymore. I usually am not one to get things turned in super early, but I have applications due mid-February, and I just want them to be done. I just want them to be turned in as soon as possible.

HC: I can’t believe you are leaving us!!!!!

AC: Don’t worry, I’ll always be a Sprite.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.