kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Went Vegan for a Day (or I Tried)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

I grew up in a family of hardcore carnivores. Long story short: we love meat. Not just a family that enjoys a regular American diet, but a hardcore, Texas BBQ type of family. Literally one of my earliest memories was of my mother seasoning a roast for Christmas dinner.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when my friend was scrolling through my Insta. They pointed out that at least a fourth of the people that I followed were Vegan cooks, bloggers, or models. Really?! A carnivore with a secret passion for almond milk, tofu, and seitan?

This inspired me to do an experiment. I wanted to know if I could survive a day as a vegan college student. Because veganism is a lifestyle, not a diet, I had to assess the products in my cosmetic bag. Using my social media mentors, I first assessed my cosmetics.  I found that most of my products either had glycerin, beeswax, or a shady past with animal testing. Out of everything, I used daily, on five of my products were Vegan and cruelty-free.

(Cruelty-Free Products)

(Cruel/ Non-Vegan Products. I definitely cheated and used deodorant, my bad. )

I also knew that leather and other animal-derived clothing materials we a no go, and cotton was my fabric of choice.

For breakfast, I had a bagel and fruit. It was yummy, especially the fresh strawberries. But I’ll admit that I got jealous once I saw my boyfriend pull out a tub of cream cheese. After breakfast, we went to Starbucks, where I ordered a grande coconut milk mocha macchiato. Recently their menu has expanded to be more inclusive of food allergies and dietary restrictions. In all honesty, I couldn’t taste the difference in the drink (probably because it is so sweet!).

For lunch, we went to a local spot in walking distance from the school. Although Arepa Mia doesn’t have vegan options, they can make any arepa vegan and cruelty-free. I had the Domino without cheese and cilantro sauce. This was REALLY delicious!   (Picture: The Domino)

The day was off without a hitch, right up until dinner time. That’s when things started to get really tough. I was on a volunteer field trip that afternoon, and towards the end, we decided to stop at a Jimmy Johns. I couldn’t bare the thought of eating soggy vegetables on a loaf of bread, so I opted for a cheap and carb-loaded vegan option: a plain loaf of bread. Hey, I didn’t say I would make a great vegan.

(I call this one: Contemplating why I do stupid things for HerCampus)

Later that night, I was again challenged by something that nearly broke me. ProBo was hosting an event that would feature a pièce de résistance of golden, crispy Chik fil a nuggets. Below is a visual account of my struggle.

(The smell is oh so delectable, yet very much so meat)

(I’m looking rough from all this will power).

Thankfully, I made it through the day and, right after midnight, I ordered a pizza and called the experiment done. Although I may not be changing my lifestyle anytime soon, I did learn a thing or two through this experience. I know now how difficult it can be to find vegan-friendly options, especially when you’re on a budget. Hopefully, as producers become more and more aware of the growing market for cruelty-free products, vegans and non-vegans alike will be able to make an impact by purchasing with the planet in mind. 

(Delicious.)

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.