This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

These days, humans are more conscious than ever about the environment, and what they put into their bodies. This leads to being even more obsessed with what we put on the outside when it comes to our beauty products. Plant-based beauty products have grown tremendously over the years. Here are some brands to be on the lookout for.

Photo via www.drunkelephant.com

Drunk Elephant

Drunk Elephant is a clean beauty brand that prides itself on leaving out what they call the “Suspicious 6” in their products (essential oils, drying alcohols, silicones, chemical sunscreens, dragrances/dyes, SLS) which makes the brand safe for everyone to use. According to www.drunkelephant.com, “these six ubiquitous ingredients are at the root of almost every skin issue we see and when entirely removed from one’s routine (“a clean break”), skin can reset and return to a healthy, balanced state. It is equally, if not more, important what we leave out of the products as what we put in.” One of my personal favorites from them is the Slaai Makeup Melting Butter Cleanser. It’s a cleansing balm that melts all traces of dirt and grime from your skin, as it quickly transforms from oil to milk once it comes into contact with water. 

Image via www.lush.com

Lush

What’s not to love about Lush! Walking into one of their stores is a party for a nose with all the yummy beauty goodies they sell. Lush is a brand started in 1995 in Poole, England, opening their first store in 1996 in Vancouver, Canada. They branched out to North America and there are now over 250 shops in business. Their first shop was simple, and not much different than what you see in any of their stores today. According to www.lush.com, “the brand was built on the philosophy to make cosmetics using the freshest ingredients, not tested on animals and sold fresh to customers.” Selecting my all-time favorite product was hard, but I decided to go with “Skin Drink” .It’s a facial moisturizer that is super soft and includes lots of great ingredients such as aloe vera extract, fresh avocado, and rose petal extract, just to name a few. A little goes a long way and it keeps your skin feeling silky smooth all day long. 

Image via www.herbivorebotanicals.com

Herbivore Botanicals

Herbivore Botanicals is 100% vegan because they simply love animals and it’s important for them to stay cruelty-free. Their founders began the brand in their Seattle kitchen in 2011 based on this philosophy and it has quickly grown over the years. Everything we put into our skin quickly absorbs, which is why they ethically source the finest raw materials for their products. According to www.herbivorebotanicals.com “In addition to creating products that give you noticeable results, we also create our products with personal rejuvenation and a little indulgence in mind. We believe that daily bathing and skincare rituals should be enjoyable— a way to carve out some much-needed downtime in your hectic routine. From thoughtfully designed packaging and labels that really allow our ingredients to shine through, to intoxicating scents and luxurious textures, we truly want you to love your skincare and bathing routines.” My favorite product is the Coco Rose Body Polish. It’s a cross between a body butter and a body scrub. Moisturizing and gently exfoliating your skin at the same time is one of the best ideas ever. It leaves your skin feeling soft and hydrated all day and the smell of coconut and rose are a game-changer. 

Be kind to your skin,have a heart for the animals and try these amazing plant-based, cruelty-free beauty brands. All of them are amazing, so take some time out for self-care and indulge by feeding your skin. 

Racquel is a graduate student at Agnes Scott College, majoring in Writing and Digital Communications. She holds a B.A. in Mass Media Arts from Clark Atlanta University. In her free time, you can catch her blogging about all things fashion and beauty related.