Wellness

Tips for Staying Healthy When Everyone on Campus is Getting Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

A germaphobe’s worst nightmare: A tightly packed classroom with the echoes of coughs and sneezes bouncing from one side of the room to the other. Just the thought of it is enough to make you cringe. When autumn comes around, there is no escape from the wrath of cold and flu season. If you are like me, you certainly cannot afford to get sick when you have classes and a job (not to mention a fun, social life) to attend to. Here are a few tips to keep in mind so you can prevent yourself and others from getting sick at this crucial time of the semester.

Wash Your Hands, More Than Once

One of the most important precautionary measures you should take to prevent the spread of germs is to simply wash your hands. Washing your hands with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds will do the trick to rid yourself of any lingering germs. Don’t feel like counting to 30? Singing the “Alphabet” and “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” twice will suffice.

If You’re Feeling Under the Weather…

Take it from the girl who hardly misses class or a shift. As much as you don’t want to be behind in your workload or get a docked check once payday rolls around, it is certainly worth taking a day or two to rest at home. What others don’t realize is that if you continue to push yourself to go to classes and to go to work, you’re not only sharing your germs with others but are preventing yourself from getting better at a quicker pace. Always remember to cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze wherever you are and to consistently wash your hands too.

Get A Flu Shot

Take the time to go get a flu shot. Whether it be at your primary physician, campus health office, or local CVS pharmacy, there are plenty of locations to get the flu shot. While most people complain about how the flu shot makes them feel after the fact (e.g. sore arm, headache and or fatigue) the flu shot itself CANNOT give you the flu. The virus within the vaccine is dead, and can only build up your antibodies in your immune system to fight off the virus once you come into contact with a sick person. For more information about the flu shot, check out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) here. So pop an Advil and get your flu shot! It certainly beats being home sick in bed for two weeks.

Eat Healthy

This is a give-in, and as a fellow college student, I know it’s not always easy to eat “healthy.” However, as the saying goes, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” Fruits and vegetables have the vitamins and minerals you need to keep your immune system healthy and strong. Simply start your day off with a glass of orange juice to get the boost of Vitamin C you need!

Get Plenty of Rest, Sick or Not Sick

When you have a tendency to burn the candle at both ends, you run not only yourself down but your immune system as well which makes you more susceptible to illness. Whether you are sick or not sick, it is crucial that you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night (haha, yeah right) or at least try to. A tip to get those few extra hours of sleep in is to work on your assignments earlier in the day. Trust me, you will thank yourself later!

Now that you have a few ideas in mind on how to keep yourself and others healthy this cold and flu season, your immune system will be impeccable. Take the few extra seconds to wash your hands or simply take the day to rest at home. If students and workers around the globe followed these simple steps above, just imagine how much we can cut down on the spread of germs. So share the love of being healthy and not the love of germs!

Hi! My name is Kerri Hayman and I am an undergraduate student at Adelphi University. My passion for writing lies within the lines of my poetry. I truly believe that when spoken word fails, written word speaks. Writing has allowed me to open a creative door for others to venture through and to relate on a personal level. Through struggles and triumphs, writing has become an artistic outlet for me to express my creative self!