The Struggles of Not Joining Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Before I start, let me establish that this is not supposted to offend anyone and it’s just for kicks and giggles. Everything I will mention applies to myself or some of my closest friends and even some of HC Adelphi members, so yeah. 

Greek Life is something everyone on campus is familar with. Regardless if you are apart of it or not, it’s nearly impossible to avoid those letters on a daily basis. The easiest way to tell that someone isn’t in Greek Life, their clothes. Everywhere you look, there’s someone wearing their very expensive, oversized,  personalized apparal. You automatically stick out like a sore thumb in a sea of Greeks so you try to make up for it by grabbing everything you can at the campus bookstore. At least you can wear the Adelphi logo everyday, right? Or you can take the easy way out….become the panther and hide yourself all together. 

Your instagram feed tells a lot about you, including your college affiliations. From the way you pose with friends to the places you go on the weekend, they all match up with what you belong too. 

Sorority Girls -Enjoy laying on the grass for pictures

Always looks like they have friends

Always posing as if you’re about to go to prom 

Everyone else – Selfies with their cat

The words “big” and “little” have completely different meanings. For us regulars, it just means the size of our McDonalds fry order. For Greek Life, those words have significance. It means two people who have some kind of special bond, the big looks out for the little, and they make each other cute gifts. Is that what it means? Sorry, I’m not even sure myself. 

Going to campus events is a hassle for someone who’s not in Greek Life. They have to text all their friends (the one or two they have) and practically beg them to come. Whereas sorority and fraternity members know that their brothers and sisters are guaranteed to attend every event possible. Half of them are even held by Greek Life. So at campus events, that loner in the corner, they probably aren’t in Greek Life. 

The names of sororities and fraternities all start to sound the same once you hear them 100 times. It’s hard to keep track when you aren’t apart of one. So when your friends decide to rush, you’re just like “delta gamma lamda phi chi say what?” 

There’s way too much time in your schedule that needs to be filled. This goes along the lines of attending campus events and such. Even when there isn’t something happening on campus, it’s still a struggle to find something to do with a group people. In Greek Life, everyone seems to have a similar schedule because they must do everything together. 

Going back to having a boring social life, you just don’t have any exciting stories to share when you professor asks, “how was everyones weekend?” You’re just stuck sitting back and listening to someone talk about their formal or rush week. 

Making connections in the professional world is difficult enough. Fraternites and sororities are affiliated with a lot of organizations that could lead to the success of your future. You miss out on the professional connections and are stuck using LinkedIn as your only source of hope. 

A huge part of Greek Life is charity. Many people forget to participate in events that benefit charities and forget to donate to special causes. If you aren’t in Greek Life, you probably don’t donate as much as you would want to just because you aren’t constantly reminded of it. 

Date Life = Greek Life 

Meeting new people becomes a regular if you’re a member of Greek Life. If you’re in Greek Life, you’ll most likely meet someone who is also a member, making it easy to make the first move. For those who aren’t involved, we just kind of fumble around trying not to bump into things. 

I’m sure there’s plenty more struggles that you can come up with, but these are the few that I deal with on the regular. As Greek Life becomes bigger and bigger, us outsiders have to stick together! 

Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/