Monica (Mon) Marshall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Year: Class of 2018

Major :Molecular Neuroscience, Psychology Minor, Honors College

Commuter or Resident : Commuter

Why did you chose your major?

• I switched from biology to neuroscience. I enjoy biology, but I also love psychology! Neuroscience is a combination of the two, so when I was made aware of this new major, I was very excited.

What do you hope to be doing in the future? Where do you see yourself after graduation?

• I want to go to public health school and become an epidemiologist. For years I wanted to become a pediatric oncologist, but I have been into research and the spread of diseases since middle school. I still want to help children with cancer though, so I plan to get involved in nonprofit organizations such as the Make a Wish Foundation and The Ronald McDonald House.

What are some of your hobbies?

• I love to read for fun and listen to Broadway and Disney musical soundtracks. I also like to participate in community service.

What are you involved with on campus?

• I am Vice President of the Gender and Sexuality Alliance, and Treasurer of the Adelphi branch of Circle K International. I am also a member of Psychology Club, CALIBER, Chabad, and the Take Back the Night Committee, and I am a peer mentor for Bridges to Adelphi. I am an Event Assistant for the Admissions Events Team. 

What is one of your favorite parts of Adelphi? Why? 

• I love the cultural events such as the semesterly Best of Broadway and last semester’s Broadway Back Together. I remember when I first visited Adelphi for an open house, I mentioned to two of the student greeters that I love Broadway and they began to tell me about all of the off campus Broadway shows they got to see thanks to Adelphi. That made a great first impression. 

If you could change one thing about Adelphi, what would it be and why?

• I would probably diversify the food options such as by adding a kosher kitchen.

Who or What inspires you? Why? What are some causes you care about?

• I am inspired by people fighting everyday for equality. I am an advocate for the special needs community- everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. We need to help people with what they struggle with so that they can build upon their strengths and become whoever they want to be. Being vice president of GSA, I am also an active advocate for the LGBTQ+ community. I am also involved in ending the stigma towards mental illness.

What is one piece of advice you would give to another student?

• Always try your best in your classes, but don’t be let down by a class that you struggle with. I struggled a lot with the chemistry courses, and I would become very anxious about how they would affect my GPA and my options for the future. I still did the best as I could in these classes, but I made sure to focus on the courses I excel in to make up for the ones I struggle with.

Are there any life sayings or mottos you live by? A favorite quote or song lyric? 

• I have many favorite quotes, most of which are from Broadway musicals. This one is from the song Always Starting Over, part of the musical If/Then: “If we’re always starting over, every brand-new morning, then we’re always starting out with the end in doubt. We can leave life for tomorrow, or grieve all that we thought we’d do, or make each moment new”.  

Favorite food, movie, book, animal, color, series, (any favorites really)?

• Favorite Book: I only began to enjoy reading in the middle of high school, but now I am an avid reader. My favorite genres are dystopian, mystery, fantasy, and science fiction. Some of my favorite series are The Chronos Files by Rysa Walker, and Cassandra Clare’s The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices
  • Favorite MovieLes Miserables (2012), RentStar Wars: The Force Awakens, and Marvel Movies
  • Favorite TV ShowTeen WolfSteven UniverseLaw and Order: SVU, and General Hospital  

Do you have any role models? who/why?

• My brother is my role model because he has overcome many challenges at a young age, and he is such a passionate, determined, intelligent, and talented person.

Favorite Adelphi memory/experience?

• My first year here at Adelphi, I decided to go on the Alternative Winter Break trip to South Florida. When I got on the bus to go to the airport, I realized that I barely knew anybody and I was a little worried. But once we arrived in S. Florida, everybody had so much fun with each other and I made so many new friends. We did community service as part of Appleseed Expeditions which included playing with the children at the Redland Christian Migrant Association and doing yard work and cleanup around the school, and we also helped out at a bird sanctuary. I also got to kayak, and taste alligator and exotic fruit for the first time. This was my first trip out of state without my family as well as my first flight in over ten years. It was amazing. I am saving up to participate in another one of these trips.  

Name one thing from your childhood that has shaped/influenced who you are today?

• When I was little, I had severe anxiety that later expanded into social phobia in the sixth grade. I always presented symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) but they continued to get worse until I was finally diagnosed in the ninth grade. This diagnosis, and the treatment that followed allowed me to finally be able to take control of my own thoughts. I have worked so hard to manage the obsessions and compulsions, and doing that I also managed my social phobia. I began taking on leadership positions at the end of middle school and my leadership and social skills have expanded every year since. Although I do not consider myself to be extroverted, I do see myself as outgoing and I am so happy to be able to say that. 

List 3 Fun Facts
  • Although I grew up on Long Island, I was born in Brooklyn and love the area. I want to live in the NY City area when I am older. 
  •  I have been into research in the social and natural sciences since middle school. 
  • I love interacting with  many different types of animals.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/