This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Julie Chau, the head of Her Campus Adelphi’s editorial team, is a junior biology major, with a double minor in chemistry and mathematics. If that didn’t already sound like a lot, Juls is also on the Event Coordinator for Adelphi University’s chapter of Beta Beta Beta. When she’s not working hard on schoolwork, or helping out in the organizations she’s involved in, she is volunteering at the blood donor center at her local hospital. Through all of this, she somehow still finds time to pursue her passion, running, whether that be running herself or volunteering at community races. In her downtime, you can find her in the gym or taking classes at the hot yoga studio.

·         What made you want to come to Adelphi?

Well, I went to an extremely crowded public high school; there were 1,100 of us in my graduating class alone! I wanted the vibe of a small learning environment and that sense of familiarity and comfort that you don’t always get in a large school. Plus, my older brother attended Adelphi and he was always raving about how much he loved the close-knit community that Adelphi offered. If I was to tell you that my brother didn’t heavily influence my choice to become a panther, I’d be lying.

·         What are some of your passions?

I started running in 2009 and for the past 6 years, it’s definitely become one of the most important aspects of my life and has greatly defined me as a person. Running has taught me the value of hard work and determination. It’s one of my greatest stress relievers and gives me a feeling of confidence and bliss that is irreplaceable. I’m also obsessed with Bikram yoga, which I started practicing about 3 months ago. Bikram yoga has pushed me physically and mentally in a whole new way and has also taught me to see life in a more positive perspective. I guess you can say that I’m kind of a fitness enthusiast.

·         How are you involved on and off campus?

I’m a writer and the head of the editorial team for Her Campus Adelphi, which basically just means that I review, upload, and schedule our content every week. I’m also the event coordinator for our school’s chapter of Beta Beta Beta, which is always fun because I get to organize fundraisers and plan our annual formal. When I’m not on campus, I volunteer weekly at a local hospital and at various community races.

·         What’s your favorite part about Adelphi?

I love how friendly and polite everyone is here. Here, everyone will hold the door for you even if you’re 30 feet away! I guess it’s that sense of community that you get when you’re in a smaller town. Oh! And I love the Adelphi bunnies, but then again, who doesn’t?

·         Who/what inspires you?

My older brother was the first person in my family to finish college and is now an optometrist about to open up his own business within the next month or so. I have a lot to live up to but he keeps me grounded and reminds me to keep pushing, even when things feel like complete chaos. Another person who inspires me on a regular basis is one of my former coaches, Eric Stein. He’s this incredibly passionate coach and educator and even started NYC’s first triathlon team for high school students. He has made an impact in so many athletes’ lives, including my own, and encourages me to always strive for greatness.

·         What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?

I don’t believe in settling, honestly, so I don’t think I’ll ever have something that I’ll consider my “greatest accomplishment”. I’ve definitely had my fair share of proud moments but once that’s over, I’m usually busy looking for something else to conquer.

·         Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What are your career plans?

In 5 years, I see myself in grad school pursuing a career in the medical field, or maybe even doing research. It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what I’ll end up doing, since biology is such a vast field, but on the side, I definitely want to be either a running coach, personal trainer, or fitness instructor. In my opinion, that would be the best of both worlds.

Juls’s dedication is inspiring and she shows no signs of quitting! She puts 100% into everything she does, and that is something to admire.  

Melissa is a journalism student at Adelphi University, and hopes to one day write for magazines and/various media types.
Hi HC readers! I am a senior at Adelphi University studying Communications with a concentration in Journalism. I am also a Marketing minor and am a member of various campus organizations. I will be serving as the HC Adelphi Campus Correspondent. Our chapter will keep you in the loop of all the Adelphi happenings along with college life articles written by the students for the students!   Check out our website to learn more about us and how you can become apart of the HC team at AU! Also, dont forget to check out our social media pages, also listed on the website. http://hercampusadelphi.weebly.com/