This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Midterms suck and that’s just the truth.  They get here before you even know it.  One day you’re going over the syllabus and the next day you’re walking into class about to take your midterm.  We feel your pain, but don’t worry.  Here are some tips to help you dominate all of your midterms.

1. Study in advance

• I know this seems super hard because you already have a million different things going on.  However, studying one or two days before your test won’t be as effective as studying a week before.  What you should do is spread the material out over a few days, so you do a little at a time.  Let’s say the midterm is on chapters 3, 4, and 5.  You decide to do half of chapter 3 on monday and the rest of chapter 3 on Tuesday.  The only way this method will work is if you read what you wrote before starting the new part.

2. Track when your midterms are

• I know this sounds like it isn’t a tip, but I know so many people that don’t know when their tests are.  Unfortunately some professors don’t remind you everyday that the test is x amount of days away.  They give you a syllabus and you’re expected to know.  I suggest writing down in your planner when your test is.  I don’t mean in the monthly view, I mean the weekly view.  2 weeks before make a note that you have a test soon.  If you don’t use a planner then set a daily reminder on your phone.  It may be annoying but then you won’t forget

3. Find or Make a study group

• Study groups aren’t for everyone, but they are very helpful sometimes.  Maybe you didn’t get a chance to study as much as you’d like or to even make a review sheet, but someone in the group shares their guide.  You can also split the material up between all of you and make one mass study guide on Google Docs.

4. Talk to your professor

• A lot of professors are willing to help you if you just ask.  You have to show them that you care and go to office hours.  If you need help they can’t read your mind, so you have to say something.  Some professors may seem intimidating, but they aren’t so bad when you actually talk to them.  If you’re not available during their free time or visa versa, email them.  

5. Study in Intervals

• The reality is that sometimes we can’t study a week in advance and are forced to cram.  When cramming or even studying normally, study in intervals.  Maybe take a 5 minute break after every 30 minutes.  You will stress yourself out if you don’t take a break.  

We wish you nothing but the best this midterm season! We’re suffering right there with you!