This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Happy start of the semester! You know what that means? Avoiding homework and papers and going to the movies instead!! This is a list of 8 movies that are coming out this semester to help you procrastinate!

1. Hustlers

Release Date: September 13, 2019

Let’s start this article off with the one I am most excited for. This movie has a killer cast! Lili Reinhart (Riverdale), J-Lo, Constance Wu (Crazy Rich Asians), Cardi B, Lizzo, Keke Palmer, Julia Styles and Madeline Brower (Handmaid’s Tale). If that cast isn’t enough to make you want to go see what these awesome women are up to, check out the trailer here to really get you hooked.

2. Judy

Release Date: September 27, 2019

The beloved actress with a truly magical voice is coming back to the big screen. Judy Garland, Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, mother of Liza Minnelli and one of the most recognizable voices and faces to this day. This film is based on the book “ End of the Rainbow” by Peter Quilter. Renee Zellweger plays the stunning singer and actress in this film about the end of Judy’s life and the struggles she went through. Check out the trailer here.

3. Joker

Release Date: October 4, 2019

I am the first one to say that Heath Ledger is the best joker of all time but I have to say I am quite excited to see what Joaquin Phoenix can bring to the twisted character. Joaquin brings a certain creepiness to many roles he is in so I can’t wait to see how he will use that to bring to life Batman’s greatest villain. Now, don’t be discouraged if you have never seen a DC film, you should still go see this movie! By the looks of the trailer you do not have to know any background knowledge to enjoy this thriller.

4. Gemini Man

Release Date: October 11, 2019

Will Smith has been an icon since the early 90’s and he continues to kill it. This movie is about a man who is assigned to kill another man who turns out to be ….himself. How it works? I don’t know. How will it end? Well you will have to go to the movies after October 11th to find out! Check out the crazy trailer here and imagine a world if there were two of you! Crazy.

5. Zombieland: Double Tap

Release Date: October 18, 2019

Ten years later and it has finally happened! The sequel to Zombieland is here! So if zombie movies aren’t your thing but you like comedies, give this a shot. The original cast of Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin are back together and of course, fighting zombies. But this time they are joined by a few new cast members such as Avan Jogia, Rosaria Dawson and Zoey Deutch. If you loved the first one as much as I do then you know the rules and will have no problem when the zombie apocalypse happens. If you haven’t seen the first one, well you have until October 17th to watch in preparation for the second movie! Check out the awesome trailer!

6. Charlie’s Angels

Release Date: November 15, 2019

So for those of you who do not know, this is a remake. The most recent remake before this was a film that starred actresses you probably know Lucy Liu, Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz. However, the original Charlie’s Angels goes all the way back to 1976 when it was just a television show. But now, we are getting Kristen Stewart and Ella Balinska, and I am so ready. I can not write about this without mentioning the hilarious and stunning director, Elizabeth Banks (from Pitch Perfect and Hunger Games) who not only directs, did the screenplay and produces, but also stars in this production as Bosley. Let’s not forget about the boys of the film! Who doesn’t love some Noah Centineo and Sam Claflin! The trailer is right here and it is fantastic!

7. Jumanji: The Next Level

Release Date: December 13, 2019

Just in time to escape from finals and go to the movies! I can not think of a better way to relax and get my mind off things than to sit back and watch The Rock on screen. This sequel follows the original group of Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan as the venture through Jumanji but this time with a twist! Check out the trailer to see what twist I am talking about!

8. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Release Date: December 20, 2019

This list would not be complete without finishing up with the one everyone around the world is waiting for…. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. This comes out just as the semester comes to an end and is the one thing I, like many others, look forward to after a long, hard semester. We come back to our friends Rey, Kylo, Poe, even Leia, Lando and Chewie and of course Luke Skywalker as they are off on a new adventure in a far away galaxy. I don’t want to give too much away so check out the trailer for yourself to see how the Jedi line continues.

Grab your popcorn and soda and head on down to your local theater! I hope this list brings you hours of procrastination as it will bring me. This will get you through most of the major hits that will come in the next few months. Just remember, when life and school gets tough and brings you down, movies lift you up and provide an escape even if only for a few hours.

Danielle Kash

Adelphi '20

Hello there! I am Danielle Kash. I am a Business Management Major at Adelphi. I love to travel, cooking and LOVE to watch movies! Hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them!