bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Happy Mental Health week! Your mental health is just as important as your physical health but many people, especially college students, tend to push it to the back burner because there are so many other things going on. I am a firm believer that you must set aside time, just for you to relax, de-stress and focus on just yourself and your mental health. Take a look at this list and I challenge you to take some time this week for yourself and try one of these ways to de-stress!

1. Exercise

I am the first one to sit on the couch rather than go for a walk but I have recently started doing little things like walking to my class all the way across campus instead of driving, doing some at home exercises and even some yoga! There is a way to exercise for anyone! If you are going through a rough time or need a break, stretch your legs! Go for a little walk whether its around the block or around the building to get those endorphins pumping!

2. Write

I don’t know about you but sometimes I just have too many thoughts in my head and need an out. Writing can either help get all those thoughts out on paper or can help your thoughts slow down and give you a break. Writing things down  that make you happy or what you’re thankful for always help calm me down if I am ever in a panic. You could use bullet journaling (click here for an article on how to get started), a regular diary or look into journals that are created to help you slow down. I found this one on Amazon and it has been so helpful!

3. Rest

Geting the right amount of sleep is so important and there is only a small amount of the population gets the recommended 8 hours of sleep. As college students, it is nearly impossible to get 8 hours of sleep unless you’re sick. Between homework, studying, campus groups and work, an all nighter is a common thing for college students and it should not be! Sleep can help improve memory, spurs creativity, sharpens your attention and lowers stress.

4. Pamper Yourself

Take a night or even an hour to pamper yourself. Face masks, bubble baths, paint your nails, and so much more. There are so many different ways to pamper yourself and make yourself feel great! Personally I like to put on a face mask,​ lay in a bubble bath and play some calming music or watch a movie and just soak the stress away.

5. Get together with friends

Getting together with friends doesn’t always mean going out, you can just stay in for a movie night! But you can go to brunch, go bowling or do an escape the room to help get your mind off anything and just enjoy the time with the people you love. Having friends who laugh with you is great but having ones that will be there for you when you are feeling down or stressed is even better!

6. Spend time with family

It may seem silly but it’s the truth. I always find that after spending a bit of time with my parents or my sisters that I feel so much better. With your family, you can truly be yourself and don’t have to hold back at all. They are the people you can tell anything to and they’ll help you through it all, good or bad.

“I have to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival” – Audre Lorde

Danielle Kash

Adelphi '20

Hello there! I am Danielle Kash. I am a Business Management Major at Adelphi. I love to travel, cooking and LOVE to watch movies! Hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them!