This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

We all know how beneficial cardio is for our hearts and our overall well being, but most of the time we much rather… not. It definitely is not as fun as cuddling up with our favorite T.V. show and snack, but getting your heartbeat up can be fun in its own way. 

These are some ways you can spice it up:

1. The Perfect Playlist 

Some songs are super motivating when it comes to gettin active. I know I enjoy a good, upbeat song with attitude when working out. Whether it’s hip hop, classical music or screamo, find a playlist that’ll keep you moving. Check out Spotify for already made workout playlists. There are some specifically for cardio. 

2. Try Something New

Cardio does not only need to be limited to running on a treadmill. You’d be surprised by how many ways you can get in some cardio. Play a sport, grab a hula hoop, dance freely or try Zumba, roller blade, or even vacuum your home (a pretty good reason to do some chores)! Just 15-45 minutes a day of cardio can make a difference in your mood and body. 

3. Grab A Friend!

I find that having a friend can make it easier to stay motivated, especially if you choose someone who is experienced in working out. They can teach you new workouts. If you decide to chat with your workout partner, it makes the time fly as opposed to exercising alone and staring at the clock making it seem like you’ve been working out forever. 

4. Set a goal or a schedule 

Some of us need structure, and that’s okay! If you find a goal motivating, go for it. Reaching a goal is always a great feeling. Start off small and the more comfortable you get, the bigger your goal can be. “I will dance in my living room for 20 minutes on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.” *two weeks later* “I will dance for 30 minutes…” Whatever works for you.

5. Add Scenery 

Being outside and enjoying nature can make a workout inspiring. Jog in a park, hike a mountain, do power yoga by a lake. The fresh air and sounds of nature beat a stuffy gym.

Hey! My name is Liana and I am a psychology major at Adelphi University. Besides psychology, I am passionate about reading, writing, poetry and animal rights. I aim to one day become a psychotherapist, to write a book and to inspire people to practice self love.