Wellness

5 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Stuck at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but with COVID also in the midst, celebrating it can feel a bit different this year. Whether you are unable to be with your significant other or you cannot see your friends at your usual Galentine’s Day gathering, there are still ways to make the most of the love-filled day. This year’s Valentine’s Day presents an opportunity to practice acts of self-love and self-care, and is also a way to be grateful for all of the loved ones in our lives. Here are 5 things to do this Valentine’s Day while you are at home. 

1. The first rule to celebrating Valentine’s Day at home is to treat yourself with love. To make this day extra special, treat yourself to a nice bath and spa day, with everything from bath bombs to face masks. Throw on some red or pink pajamas to really get into the spirit. See if you can find any festive-looking socks to stay extra cozy. Lastly, find a warm blanket to wrap yourself in to feel all the feels. 

Self-care
Photo by Maddi Bazzocco from Unsplash

2. Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be as sweet without the treats. Something fun to do while at home is to bake something for a loved one or for yourself! It can be something simple and easy like chocolate chip cookies or red velvet cupcakes. If you want to get really fancy, bake a lava cake with a raspberry filling, or try another fun recipe you’ve been wanting to do! 

red velvet cupcakes
Photo by Heather Mount from Unsplash

3. I don’t know about you, but I do not let Valentine’s Day pass by without watching at least one cheesy romantic comedy. There are so many rom-coms out there, ranging from 90s classics like 10 Things I Hate About You to modern love stories like To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to binge-watch all the rom-coms without feeling guilty.

person holding remote control at TV
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

4. What’s Valentine’s Day without your favorite foods? Think Gilmore Girls when deciding what to eat. Pick your favorite local take-out food restaurant and order whatever you’re feeling! Cozy up in front of your TV while watching those rom-coms in your PJs. Savor this moment and enjoy the time to yourself that you deserve! 

The Lala

5. One last thing you can do this Valentine’s Day is connect with loved ones through video chat! Make a Zoom call with your best gals for a virtual Galentine’s Day party filled with laughs, chats, and fun. Or, facetime a friend you haven’t seen in a while and catch up on each other’s lives! Just because we can’t physically be together this Valentine’s Day, it doesn’t mean we can’t show our appreciation for our loved ones in other ways. 

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy

Although Valentine’s Day looks different this year, we can still make the most of it. Treat yourself to a “Me Day” that you have been longing for and allow yourself this time to relax and enjoy your own company. Or, take the day to virtually celebrate with loved ones. Whatever you decide to do this Valentine’s Day, the most important thing to remember is to be kind to yourself and others, and to spread love wherever you go. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Valeria is an English major and Acting minor at Adelphi University. She loves to sing, dance, bake, and hang out with friends and family.