Why Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the Best Thing To Have Happened to TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve started to believe that it’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s world and we’re all just living in it. She is an absolute genius writer and actor who is just killing the game in both theatre and television right now. Phoebe is simply thriving and ‘Fleabag’ has gone from receiving a mediocre, heavily critical three star review back in 2013, to bagging not one but THREE Emmys. If that isn’t a glow up, or a reminder to keep working hard and doing what you love, then I don’t know what is.

While I’m also obsessed with the instant classic Killing Eve, which was adapted and written by Phoebe, Fleabag is hands down the best show out there right now. Bold statement, I know. The sitcom is written by and stars Phoebe, and is an exploration into what it means to be a woman in modern society. This show is utterly hilarious, painful and devastating all in one. The dark comedy revolves around the character Fleabag navigating family drama, running a business in central London, unsatisfying relationships, and grieving the death of her best friend. While her existence is moulded by self-loathing, guilt, and dark humour, the sitcom uncovers a raw honesty regarding a woman’s pain, the complexities of grief, and female sexuality. Yet, ultimately, it is about love.

It’s refreshing to note that the real love story and most important relationship in the show is between two sisters, and the unbreakable bond they share despite their personal difficulties. While not every character may be likeable, they are relatable. Phoebe continuously breaks the fourth wall throughout the series to escape her own heartbreaking reality, and encourage the audience to be in on the joke. I should also address the elephant in the room being the hot AF priest. Andrew Scott has been a favourite of mine for a long time but I did not see this coming and I think he surprised us all in the second series. That combined with Olivia Colman’s passive aggressive one liners creates sheer brilliance.

While Fleabag was originally written as a one-woman monologue for the stage, it was picked up by the BBC in 2016 and has since become a huge hit. Phoebe’s passion for unleashing her anger and female rage is admirable and beyond empowering. I’m in awe of her ability to write her own destiny that is fueled by a fury that women everywhere can empathise with. The themes of lust and grief have enabled Phoebe to raise the bar, redefining what it means to be outspoken, in control, and powerful within an industry and society that continues to be overshadowed by men. She is a breath of fresh air, a once in a generation talent, and I am absolutely here for it.

Now, someone pass me an M&S gin and tonic, because I’m about to re-watch this for the tenth time.

All images sourced from Google Images

I'm a 22 year old student from North Wales studying MA English Literature at the University of Aberdeen. You'll find me writing about anything and everything from the horrors of imposter syndrome to Phoebe Waller-Bridge's latest revelation.
Emily Sullivan

Aberdeen '20

Vice President at HCAU xo Anthropology student at Aberdeen University.