ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Summer Trends ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

1. Athletic Trend

This summer let your inner athlete shine with athletic inspired clothes. Trousers with side stripes, jersey-style blouses, fleece jumpers, and trainers are all popular trends that will be even easier to showcase in summer weather. With this style you can’t go wrong pairing lots of athletic pieces together or mixing and matching it up for your own personal style. If this trend is a little sporty for your liking, try pairing a jersey-type top with the popular full midi skirt for a fashion-forward yet feminine take on this look. Complete the look with streamlined heels to keep the focus clean and simple. 

2. Birkenstock Sandals

It’s hard to picture the essential hippie sandal worn by the fashion crowd but with chic updates, the ‘it’ sandal of the season is as fashionable as it is comfortable. Let your feet take a break from heels and pair these sandals with literally anything. If the weather is too chilly for bare feet, just throw on a pair of socks, matching optional. Have fun with this trend and let’s hope (for our feet’s sake) that it is here to stay. 

3. Art Pop

If you like bold, statement prints, then this trend is perfect for you. Blouses, skirts, trousers, and even shoes showcase painterly prints that will make you stand out from the crowd. For a night out, these clothes are sure to cause second glances but don’t stray from wearing them during the day. Paired down with simple denim and boots or sandals, art styled tops are extremely wearable. 

4. Dungarees

Whilst this trend has been in fashion for some time, this summer will be its biggest season yet. To not look like a farmer, pair them with feminine separates and delicate heels or flats. Top with a bomber or leather jacket if it gets chilly at night. Just try to avoid boxy, checked blouses or western style boots! 

5. Fringes and Tassels

On your shoes, jacket, tops and bags, fringe can be seen in stores everywhere, and with festival season fast approaching expect to see this trend get even bigger. But this season it goes beyond festival wear, with fringe being seen on all different styles and in a large variety of colours. Try to dip into the trend with sandals or a bag if a tasseled skirt of blouse is too much. This is a trend most acceptable in summer so have fun with it and don’t be afraid to go bold! 

Currently a 2nd year student studying English Literature at the University of Aberdeen.
Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.