This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Spring has officially sprung and so have a plethora of pastels onto the fashion scene. Goodbye drab blacks, browns and greys and hello soft pinks, gentle lilacs, baby blues, and minty greens. From the haute fashion scene of Jimmy Choo, Chanel, and Elie Saab to high-street fashion such as Zara and Topshop, pastels have officially made their mark.

As the temperatures increase and day-light is prolonged, lighter and more flouncy items of clothing become a necessity. Unlike Spring 2013 of neons, stripes, and striking patterns, this spring graces us with much softer hues.

I’ve noticed an increase in the pastels out there on campus by some of my fellow collegiettes and it is definitely something I hope to see more of! I am a personal fan of this trend as the colour pallet is very reminiscent of a packet of my favourite sweets – Swizzels Matlow Love Hearts! And really, who wouldn’t want a wardrobe oozing with sweetie-like colours?! 

So push aside those bulky winter warmers and make room for something more fresh and fun. These gentle colours are an absolute must-have!  Whether simply through a range of pastel nail varnishes or by accessorising with a pastel clutch, this trend is sure to brighten up an everyday look this season. Switch up heavy dark denims for silky, lighter fabrics like cotton and linen and bag up all those wool knits for sleeker blazers and straight-line cardigans. Give the jeans a rest and why not try some tapered harem pants instead? Just one simple change in your colour palette is sure to change your mood to something brighter and optimistic for the warmer weather to come and what other way to do this than by a gentle introduction through soft pastels!

Get out there and indulge in some great pastel pieces!

All images are from GoogleImages.

Alice Low

Aberdeen

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.