This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Netflix has a large variety of shows in different languages. Watching TV in another language is a great way to expand your options, connect with a different culture, and even practice a language you study! 

Here are some great Spanish-language options available on Netflix: 

Valeria: 

Valeria (based originally on a book series by Elisabet Benavent) is a show about a romance author living in Madrid, where she is working on her first book. The series follows her struggles with writer’s block, her marriage, and her close group of friends: Lola, Carmen, and Nerea. Valeria has been compared to an updated, Spanish version of Sex in the City. It’s romance novel-worthy storyline will keep you interested! 

Elite: 

Elite is a dramatic show that focuses on the lives of several working-class students who are newly enrolled into an exclusive private school, as well as the lives of their classmates. Set in Spain, the show includes class warfare, several romances, and a murder investigation.   

La Casa de Papel (Money Heist): 

La Casa de Papel (known to English-speaking audiences as Money Heist) is an intricate crime drama, which focuses on a group of eight uniquely-talented people who have been recruited to commit the biggest heist of the century. Their goal is to steal from the Royal Mint of Spain. This is one of the most-watched shows on Netflix, and has won an International Emmy for Best Drama series.  

Alta Mar: 

Alta Mar is a classic telenovela, set on a luxury ocean liner traveling from Spain to Rio de Janeiro in the 1940s. The series follows two sisters who are traveling aboard: Eva and Carolina Villanueva. It has everything: romance, a mysterious on-board death, family secrets, and even hidden gold.  

Control Z: 

Control Z is set in a Mexican secondary school, where an anonymous hacker begins to release the secrets of the student population publically. The main character, Sofía, is an outsider to many of her classmates, but she becomes determined to discover the hacker’s identity before they continue to release hurtful secrets. The series has many plot twists, and will keep you guessing until the very end!  

Maggie Johnson

Aberdeen '25

Third year Anthropology student with a lot of thoughts! Stick around for general musings, tv recommendations, and the occasional rant