The Lalagirl Sunglasses Jumping Backback Converse Happy
Her Campus Media

Small Things That Bring Us Joy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

2020 has been a difficult year by all accounts. So here is a collection of responses I got when I asked people about small things that brought them joy.

1. Finding a new song that makes me smile

2. Meditating by the ocean

3. The weirdly comforting fact that my cat smells like an old blanket

4. Every time my warm purple fleece blanket comes out the dryer. I’m jumping into my mattress as a warm cuddly blanket burrito for a while.

5. New stickers for my whiteboard! My dance club just made stickers of our logo and I’m going to add it to my collection.

Galaxy of Stars behind mountains
Photo by Denis Degioanni from Unsplash

6. The stars! They’ve been really bright where I am due to wonderfully clear skies

7. My dog sleeps in my bed with me because he’s small, so when I wake up and say good morning to him, he wags his tail and looks at me and it always makes me really happy.

8. Seeing a rainbow after a storm, a sunset, the way the air has the comforting scent of woodstoves. leaves, and pine as I walk outside during the fall. Finding a little stream or waterfall in the woods, the sun breaking through the clouds.

9. Otters. All the Otters. Especially the Asian Small Clawed ones

10. Putting on a comfy warm hoodie always makes me a little happy inside

11. The twitter account Possum every hour. They are cute and feral and seeing them brings me a little bit of happiness every time.

Three women talking with flowers
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

12. Being able to chat to my flatmates about stupid stuff in the evening when we are all making food and eating.

13. My kamala Harris shrine in our hall

15. My recent discovery of how great audiobooks can be. They are great to listen to while out walking or just to sit in and relax.

16. Digital design. While I’m a cover designer doing it for a living, it’s the one small escape I get that brings me joy too.

dog ghost halloween costumes
Photo by Fotoshautnah from Pixabay

17. Probably watching funny videos of dogs

18. Cake

19. I really like when I remember to put on music when I’m cooking so I can dance to it. Or when I open my curtains in the morning and the sun hasn’t risen yet so I can see the sun rise. Or when the cats in the window across from me are there.

20. My Sister, friend, and I all dressed in multi-pattern 80s outfits for choir.

girl watching christmas movie
Photo by Samira Rahi from Unsplash

21. Good holiday movies

22. Christmas lights! 

23. My cats bring me joy. I’m doing a couch to 10K-and at least twice each run I find myself smiling and very happy.

Fourth year Psychology student who reads way more than writes. Current Aberdeen PR sec.
Second year Psychology student @ University of Aberdeen