Royally Excited for Baby Number 2!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The news has broken! Wills and Kate are expecting baby number 2 and it’s fair to say the world can’t contain its excitement for the so-called ‘spare heir’ to make his or her appearance! They are the one of the UK’s – and probably the world’s -golden couples and this pending arrival of the blue-blooded Prince or Princess has set us all on womb-watch!

Although exciting, it is hardly surprising that the happy couple have chosen now to expand their adorable family. With two years between Prince William and Harry, baby George and his future sibling will similarly be 21 months apart, two months over the age gap between Kate and her sister Pippa – jolly good planning if I do say so myself! Royal Baby number 2 means the couple will have two under 2, which is no mean feat, and may explain why Kate has decided to bring in a maternity nurse this time around. This is advisable for those late night feeds and all day tantrums when George realizes he has to share the love of his cranky parents – and the love of the nation- with his much revered and yearned for baby brother or sister.

One thing that is always mentioned but never dwelt upon in the articles announcing Kate’s pregnancy is the fact that not only has her pregnancy been disclosed to the public one week before the, accepted-as-safe, 12 week mark but also that she is again suffering from acute morning sickness. Many news outlets have expressed legitimate concern over the safety of Kate and the unborn Royal. But do not fret Kate lives in a country with one of the most successful health services in the world! And let’s not forget that carrying an heir to the British throne probably ensures some of the best doctors in the country tending to your every need, ensuring Kate receives the essential vitamins and nutrition in order to keep herself and baby number 2 happy. This is obviously great news, but unfortunately for millions of woman around the world this sort of care is not available!

Whilst of course it is right to celebrate and look forward to the birth of a new royal baby, perhaps some of this revelry could be channeled into supporting projects that tend to the needs of women who don’t have access to such luxuries. Improved nutrition and awareness of the importance of a vitamin rich diet during pregnancy could prevent a child from suffering from stunted growth and being at a huge disadvantage before they are even born. Charities such as Concern suggest that the first 1,000 days of a child’s life are some of the most formative in terms of nutrition, because after the age of 2, the effects of stunted development are irreversible.

Mother and Daughter surrounded by their harvest grown through training and seeds – provided this year by Concern in Zambia

Concern has projects all over the world and not only lends itself to the improvement of agricultural diets but also trains community health workers to educate expectant mothers on the importance of good nutrition for their baby’s future.

So, whilst baby number 2 has the world on tender-hooks and baby George has 6 months to continue to enjoy being top dog, we need to remember to support charities like Concern to ensure that as few mothers as possible have to worry about giving their baby the best possible start in life, silver spoon or not!

Pictures: Google images

Concern.net

http://cdn.sheknows.com

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.