Retail Workers are Human Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Retail Workers Are Humans Too

If you ask anyone who works in retail what the worst thing about it is, they will probably say it is when you get a rude and annoying customer who completely ruins your day. Working in retail means that you interact with many different people on a daily basis, most of them are lovely and good customers but there’s always that one who is rude for no reason or treats the workers like second class citizens. Having worked many hours during the stressful and busy Christmas period (which is hell for retail workers by the way), I realised that these bad customers seem to forget that the sales assistant is in fact, a person as well.

The rise of internet shopping and being able to buy any product at any time does cause some challenges for high street retailers. I have had to explain to customers on numerous occasions that just because an item is online, it does not mean that we will have it in the store as well. The shop I work in is quite a small shop, so we would not be able to fit every product from the website in to our store. Sales assistants have no way around this and I don’t understand why some customers get annoyed or angry when this situation arises. I can’t change the situation, I can only provide you with a compromise or suggest that you order the item online. Raising your voice at me or getting irritated and complaining will not change anything, sorry.

Whilst we are on the topic of stock, shops sell out of items, it’s not an uncommon thing. Working several days a week means that you know what you have in the ‘back’ and on the shop floor. If I’m telling you we don’t have something, it’s because we don’t have it, not because I can’t be bothered to find it. Also, the ‘back’ is not some magical place where we have infinite amounts of stock, we get a delivery once a week (in my store’s case) and we don’t always get everything we need. If you’re wanting something that is brand new or on sale, be prepared for the words ‘sorry we don’t have any left of that at the moment,’ especially with sale items, when usually what we have out in store, is all we have left. Again, this is a situation that is out of my control and getting angry at me will not change the fact that we don’t have the thing you were looking for.

What all retail workers would greatly appreciate is if you put an item back where you found it or close to where you got it from. Don’t put the mug you thought your Aunt would like next to the handbags because you changed your mind, give it to a sales assistant or put it up at the till. We understand that people change their minds but during busy times such as Christmas, having to rush up to the opposite end of the shop to put that mug back is a bit of an inconvenience. But what is even worse is if you try on a top for example and put it back on the hanger, inside out, buttons/zips undone and then put it back on the rail. Why, why would you do that? Yes, it is my job to make sure the shop floor and the products are neat and tidy but that’s pushing it a bit too far. I wouldn’t go into an office for example, ask for a file then leave the papers out of the folder and out of order, so why is it ok to do the same thing with clothes in a shop? Most customers would never do something like that but there are many people who pull stunts like this all the time. Our products are there to be sold to anyone, not just you, so show some care and respect for the item you were looking at or trying on.

No, I can’t give you a discount. A shop is not like eBay where you just try to pay whatever price you want, we have set prices for a reason. We also aren’t a stall at a market where you can haggle. Obviously if an item is faulty or has some damage to it, we will take some money off but stop looking for money off when there’s no actual reason for a discount. Please don’t moan to me about prices and items being ‘too expensive’. I don’t set the prices and with my store, you’re paying for a quality item that is substantial and made with high end material, so you get what you pay for. Bringing up prices and complaining about items being expensive can make it awkward for us, we can hardly say to you, ‘I know! It’s a complete rip off!’

If you’re planning to do late night shopping, please check, or ask, when the stores are shutting. Don’t appear at 6.55 when we close at 7. The people working have most likely been there all day or for many hours and just want to go home. We know that people work long hours and they might only be able to go shopping in the evening, but by turning up five minutes before closing and staying in the shop past closing time is stopping other people from leaving their work. There’s also things like cashing up or certain cleaning jobs that we can only do when the shop is shut, so by you staying until past closing means that we will be even later in getting out of work. Thanks. 

This ‘rant’ is only a selection of grievances that retail workers face. Usually our days goes past without any problems and we have good chat with the customers that we do have. But please be conscious of what you do inside a shop because the people that work there literally have to clean up your mess. Don’t speak to us like we are idiots and shout because that will not change the situation and in reality, will make us want to do less to help you. The retail worker is a human too, not some robot with no emotions. My job is to help the customer and to do everything I can to make sure the customer is happy but respect works both ways, remember when your mum told you to treat others how you would want to be treated yourself.

Holly Judge

Aberdeen '19

MA English Graduate 2018 and PGDE Secondary (English) student 2018-19. President of Her Campus Aberdeen 2018-2019