This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Elana is the president of Aberdeen’s Creative Writing society, and we sat down to find out a little more about her life, and the society she is running. 

HC: So, to let us get to know you, how about you tell us a little bit about yourself.

EDW: My name is Elena De Wachter, and I study English as my Master of Arts degree. I’m 21 years old, and will graduate this June. For the first three years of my life, my family lived in Belgium, and subsequently moved to Sweden, where I lived until I moved to Aberdeen four years ago. This has caused a fair share of confusion when I try to answer the question ‘where are you from?’ in casual conversation.

HC: Ha ha, we can see how that might not be too simple! So you’re in your final year of an English degree, tell us what it is you like about studying English? 

EDW: I like, as cliché as it may sound, that it allows me to do what I love to do – read and learn. I’m also enjoying the buzz of activities, societies and happenings that surround Aberdeen University, which is very different from rural Sweden.

HC: That sounds great – it’s best to study something you genuinely enjoy. Tying into your degree nicely, you’re the president of the Creative Writing society here at Aberdeen, so tell us more about the society and the kinds of things that happen. 

EDW: CW is one of the older societies on campus – we were around in 1985, back when people probably wrote their manuscripts by hand. Nowadays, we meet to read our pieces from printed paper, and the society gives friendly constructive feedback to writers who share their work. The magic of it lies in the act of sharing, of stepping up and presenting a private part of yourself to an audience, and I don’t think anybody in CW forgets the first time they share a piece. As such, we’re a very close-knit society, and our members return long after they’ve left Aberdeen, just to come and share a Thursday night with us again.

HC: That sounds great, and like it takes some real bravery to read out to a crowd! So why is it that you wanted to be the president of the society? 

EDW: Since I started participating in the society meetings in my first year, there was a natural progression of growing more and more involved, and I had a real sense that I wanted to give something back, and make the society flourish to my best capacities.

HC: Well, it sounds like you definitely took on the role for the right reasons! So the real question, are you enjoying being president?

EDW: I am, so much. Not only because of the presidential authority – though I do admit I enjoy that – but because of working together with my committee to make things happen. It is crazy sometimes though, like that quote from Shakespeare in Love; ‘our natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster’ – So what do you do? Nothing. Strangely enough it all turns out well. And the feeling of watching an event that you have planned and worked towards unfold and actually turn out okay is one of the better feelings you can have. 

HC: Haha, we’re glad to hear that there’s good to go along with the, shall we say, not so good! Of course being president of a society is going to be stressful sometimes, but we’re glad you’re enjoying it!

The Creative Writing society is open to people of all levels and abilities, whether you want to submit some of your writing every week, or just go along and have a listen. The meetings take place every Thursday at 7pm, with readings beginning at 7:30pm at the Kittybrewster in the Ashgrove Lounge. Here’s the facebook group for more details: https://www.facebook.com/groups/68588022409/?fref=ts

Thanks for talking to us, Elana! HCXO<3

Fourth year studying English and Sociology.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.