nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Playlist for International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, and International Women’s Day is on the 8th. This is a good time to be grateful for all the women who came before us and fought for the rights we have today, but also for taking a moment to reflect on what we want to achieve in the future.

There are many different ways to be a feminist, but something we can all agree on is that everyone should have equal rights regardless of gender, race, or social class. In order to celebrate Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day; Her Campus Aberdeen has made a playlist you can enjoy whilst continuing the fight for a better and more equal society.

There are some classics in here, like the incredible feminist anthem ‘You Don’t Own Me’ by Lesley Gore (RIP). Salt-N-Pepa and Joan Jett have their say when it comes to women who want to freely explore their sexuality, and the Spice Girls are preaching the importance of friendship (you gotta get with my friends, forreal). And if you’re feel sick and tired of everything just ‘Let It Go’ or ‘Shake It Off’ to the tunes of Idina Menzel (Adele Nazeem if you’re John Travolta) and T-Swizzle. Aretha has your back in demanding some r-e-s-p-e-c-t, and Lily Allen is repping it for all the women in the modern, often oversexualized world. It can truly be ‘Hard Out Here’. Cyndi Lauper is on the list to remind us that sometimes ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’, and TLC reminds us of the importance of saying ‘no’ because we don’t want ‘No Scrubs’ in our lives! Katy Perry’s ‘Roar’ will hopefully help you to always stand up for yourself and what you think is right, and you know you can do this because according to Destiny’s Child we are all ‘Independent Women’. Christina Aguilera ft Lil’ Kim are on the list, because someone needs to tell the oppressors that they ‘Can’t Hold Us Down’! Janelle Monáe is here so that you remember you’re a ‘Q.U.E.E.N’, and Nancy Sinatra is here to remind you to wear what you want and never care about the haters. If you’re feeling lonely just put on some Robyn, because there’s no shame in ‘Dancing On Your Own’! Chaka Khan is here to remind us of the different struggles of women around the world and that we should care about them all, because ‘I’m Every Woman’ and so are you! Carrying on the sisterly spirit are Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox with ‘Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves’. And our favourite Queen B is of course on the list, to remind us to stay ‘***FLAWLESS’, and because frankly who run the world? GIRLS!

Here’s the link for the playlist: https://8tracks.com/hercampusaberdeen/independent-women

YOU GO GIRL. Love from Her Campus Aberdeen <3

Currently a 3rd year undergraduate at the University of Aberdeen studying English Literature. And the President and Editor in Chief of Her Campus Aberdeen.